Synge: optical observations in GR

In summary, the conversation discusses optical coordinates and the bouncing-photon idea in relation to fermi-normal coordinates and fermi-walker transport. The paper mentioned in the conversation provides a detailed explanation and calculation of these concepts, particularly in the context of power series expansions. Additionally, Synge's book "Relativity: The General Theory" also covers these topics in detail.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
A couple of questions about this paper, which, unfortunately, I can't access in is entirety
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02923262#page-1

1) Re: optical coordinates. From what I've read (here and some other sketchy sources), these are similar to fermi-normal coordinates, but one uses an affine parameterization along null geodesics passing through a point, rather than affine parameterizations along spacelike geodesics at a point. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could tell me if I was on the right track here.

2) I'm rather curious about the bouncing-photon idea, which apparently can apparently do fermi-walker transport, but I haven't been able to find enough on the idea to figure it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
These topics are both discussed in Synge's book, "Relativity: The General Theory", in which he devotes about 10 pages to each. Essentially he beats them both to death, in a power series expansion.

You're right about the definition of optical coordinates, and he goes on to calculate a power series approximation to the metric and the geodesics. For the bouncing photon, he shoots a photon out in some direction. In the small distance limit, if it's reflected and comes back to us in the "same" direction, then we are using Fermi-Walker transport to define "same". Once more he expands the results far enough to see the Riemann tensor and the curvature of the base line.

1. What is Synge's optical observations in GR?

Synge's optical observations in GR refer to the work of Canadian physicist John Lighton Synge, who studied the behavior of light in the context of Einstein's theory of general relativity (GR). He made significant contributions to our understanding of gravitational lensing and how light is affected by the curvature of space-time.

2. Why is Synge's work important?

Synge's work is important because it helped to bridge the gap between classical physics and modern theories of gravity. His observations and calculations provided evidence for the validity of GR and helped to further our understanding of the behavior of light in extreme gravitational fields.

3. What were some of Synge's major findings?

One of Synge's major findings was the prediction and observation of gravitational lensing, which occurs when the path of light is bent by the intense gravitational field of a massive object. He also made important contributions to the theory of black holes and the concept of a singularity in space-time.

4. How did Synge's work impact the field of astronomy?

Synge's work had a significant impact on the field of astronomy by providing a deeper understanding of how light behaves in the presence of strong gravitational fields. His findings have been used to make more accurate predictions and observations of astronomical phenomena, such as the bending of light around galaxies and the detection of gravitational waves.

5. What is the current relevance of Synge's optical observations in GR?

Synge's optical observations in GR are still relevant today as they continue to be used to test and refine our understanding of gravity and the behavior of light. They have also been applied to other areas of physics, such as quantum gravity and string theory, and have implications for our understanding of the universe as a whole.