Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Synge: optical observations in GR

1. May 21, 2014 #1

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A couple of questions about this paper, which, unfortunately, I can't access in is entirety
    http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02923262#page-1

1) Re: optical coordinates. From what I've read (here and some other sketchy sources), these are similar to fermi-normal coordinates, but one uses an affine parameterization along null geodesics passing through a point, rather than affine parameterizations along spacelike geodesics at a point. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could tell me if I was on the right track here.

2) I'm rather curious about the bouncing-photon idea, which apparently can apparently do fermi-walker transport, but I haven't been able to find enough on the idea to figure it out.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2014 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

4. May 21, 2014 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

These topics are both discussed in Synge's book, "Relativity: The General Theory", in which he devotes about 10 pages to each. Essentially he beats them both to death, in a power series expansion.

You're right about the definition of optical coordinates, and he goes on to calculate a power series approximation to the metric and the geodesics. For the bouncing photon, he shoots a photon out in some direction. In the small distance limit, if it's reflected and comes back to us in the "same" direction, then we are using Fermi-Walker transport to define "same". Once more he expands the results far enough to see the Riemann tensor and the curvature of the base line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook