Synthesis between Quantum Chaos and QFT.

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between quantum computing (QC) and quantum field theory (QFT). It is questioned whether there are attempts to synthesize between the two theories and if knowledge of QFT is necessary for researching in QC. The professor mentioned specializes in the interface between QC and number theory, and it is mentioned that chaos exists in classical field theory and could also be studied in QFT. The appropriate formulation of QFT is suggested to be the functional Schrodinger equation, and an explicit calculation would require advanced computers. The question is also raised about the definition of a quantum state in QFT.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Are there any attempts to synthesize between these two theories?

I mean are there methods from QFT being used in QC and vice versa?

I asked one professor from my univ if I were to research under his belt in QC, would I need some QFT knowledge and he said not. So I wonder are they really unrelated.

P.s
The prof specilaises in the interface between QC and number theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chaos certainly exists in classical field theory. Thus, it certainly would make sense to study "scares" of classical chaos in quantum field theory. I guess that the appropriate formulation of QFT would be the functional Schrodinger equation in which a quantum state is a function of time and a functional of field configuration in space. However, an explicit calculation would require numerical computation with computers much stronger than currently available.

When you say quantum state, do you refer to the wave function of the particle?

If so, then I guess that also the hamiltonian should be dependent explicitly on time to exhibit a chaotic behaviour.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
When you say quantum state, do you refer to the wave function of the particle?
No. I mean a general QFT state in which the number of particles may be uncertain.

1. What is the relationship between Quantum Chaos and QFT?

The relationship between Quantum Chaos and QFT is one of synthesis, where the two fields are combined to create a more comprehensive understanding of the quantum world. Quantum Chaos deals with the behavior of quantum systems that exhibit chaotic behavior, while QFT is a theoretical framework that describes the behavior of particles and fields at the quantum level. By combining the two, we can better understand the complex and unpredictable nature of quantum systems.

2. How does Quantum Chaos affect QFT calculations?

The presence of chaos in a quantum system can significantly impact the results of QFT calculations. This is because chaotic systems are highly sensitive to initial conditions, making it difficult to accurately predict their behavior. This can lead to uncertainties and errors in QFT calculations, making it challenging to accurately model and understand quantum phenomena.

3. What are some applications of the synthesis between Quantum Chaos and QFT?

The synthesis of Quantum Chaos and QFT has many practical applications in fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and quantum information processing. By understanding the chaotic behavior of quantum systems, we can develop new technologies and techniques that utilize this behavior to our advantage.

4. How has the study of Quantum Chaos influenced our understanding of QFT?

The study of Quantum Chaos has provided new insights and perspectives on the behavior of quantum systems, which have greatly contributed to our understanding of QFT. By studying the chaotic behavior of quantum systems, we can better understand the fundamental principles of QFT and develop more accurate and comprehensive theories.

5. What are some challenges in combining Quantum Chaos and QFT?

One of the main challenges in synthesizing Quantum Chaos and QFT is the inherent complexity and unpredictability of chaotic systems. This makes it difficult to accurately model and analyze their behavior, which can lead to uncertainties and errors in the synthesis process. Additionally, there are still many unanswered questions and unknowns in both fields, making it challenging to create a complete and unified theory.