Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Synthesis between Quantum Chaos and QFT.

1. Jul 24, 2009 #1

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Are there any attempts to synthesize between these two theories?

I mean are there methods from QFT being used in QC and vice versa?

I asked one professor from my univ if I were to research under his belt in QC, would I need some QFT knowledge and he said not. So I wonder are they really unrelated.

P.s
    The prof specilaises in the interface between QC and number theory.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2009 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Chaos certainly exists in classical field theory. Thus, it certainly would make sense to study "scares" of classical chaos in quantum field theory. I guess that the appropriate formulation of QFT would be the functional Schrodinger equation in which a quantum state is a function of time and a functional of field configuration in space. However, an explicit calculation would require numerical computation with computers much stronger than currently available.

4. Jul 24, 2009 #3

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

When you say quantum state, do you refer to the wave function of the particle?

If so, then I guess that also the hamiltonian should be dependent explicitly on time to exhibit a chaotic behaviour.

5. Jul 27, 2009 #4

Demystifier

Science Advisor

No. I mean a general QFT state in which the number of particles may be uncertain.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook