Synthetic and Long Division for (9x^4 - x^2 - 6x + 2) / (3x - 1)

  • Thread starter Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Division
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
flyingpig
Messages
2,574
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



I apologise that this is not in LaTeX, but i just couldn't find the codes

Use long division or synthetic division: (9x^4 -x^2 - 6x+2) / (3x-1)

The Attempt at a Solution



So the root is x = 1/3

P(1/3) = 0, no remaindar

1/3 | 9 0 -1 -6 2
...|...3 -1 0 -2
___________
...9 -3 0 - 6 4

Where did i go wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you do really? If I guess well, the second line should be
3 -1 -6 2.

ehild
 
You should ADD items in the first and second lines.

Don't forget to divide the result by 3.
 
Sammy, why did you leave the physics forum? Come back!
 
Gee, I think I'm still there --- or am I here ??

BTW: I've posted a couple of times in a recent Gauss's Law thread of yours.
 
The problem was to divide [itex]9x^4- x^2- 6x+ 2[/itex] by 3x- 1. Your synthetic division is dividing by x- 1/3. That's why SammyS says you need to also divide by 3.