Help simplifying this algebraic expression please

In summary: Remember that any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1. In summary, the conversation discusses two different math problems: one involving finding the correct form of an expression and the other involving expanding brackets. The expert summarizer explains the solution to the first problem and clarifies the confusion in the second problem.
homeworkhelpls
Misplaced Homework Thread moved from the technical forums
1665176267896.png
14) here i tried 3x^3 + 3/8x^3 to to get 27/8x^3 but the answer is 3/2 x^3, why?
1665176428590.png
15) here i did 9x^3/2 - 1/x^3/2 to get 9x^9/4 - 1/x^3/2 but that's not in the right form, how do i do it correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
homeworkhelpls said:
View attachment 31519414) here i tried 3x^3 + 3/8x^3 to to get 27/8x^3 but the answer is 3/2 x^3, why?
Did you take the cube root of the constant multiplier?
homeworkhelpls said:
View attachment 31519615) here i did 9x^3/2 - 1/x^3/2 to get 9x^9/4 - 1/x^3/2 but that's not in the right form, how do i do it correctly?
That is not correct. You can not simply square the individual terms. Do you know what the general result of ##(a-b)^2## is? Multiply out the square to see what is right.

ok then for 15 i expanded the brackets and got 9x^3/2 -3x^0 - 3x^0 + x^-3/2, I am confused if -3x^0 is equal to -3 or 1, please explain

Last edited:
FactChecker said:
Did you take the cube root of the constant multiplier?

That is not correct. You can not simply square the individual terms. Do you know what the general result of ##(a-b)^2## is? Multiply out the square to see what is right.
and for 14 i got it now after doing 3 x by cubed root of 3 x by x^3 all over 2 to get 3/2 x^3, thanks :)

homeworkhelpls said:
ok then for 15 i expanded the brackets and got 9x^3/2 -3x^0 - 3x^0 + x^-3/2, I am confused if -3x^0 is equal to -3 or 1, please explain
A product of both. ##-3x^0 = -3 \cdot x^0 = -3 \cdot 1 = -3##

• Informative
Likes homeworkhelpls

1. What is an algebraic expression?

An algebraic expression is a mathematical phrase that contains variables, numbers, and operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It does not have an equal sign and cannot be solved unless values are assigned to the variables.

2. How do I simplify an algebraic expression?

To simplify an algebraic expression, you need to combine like terms by adding or subtracting them. You can also use the distributive property to remove parentheses and combine similar terms. Finally, you can use the rules of exponents to simplify expressions with variables raised to powers.

3. What does it mean to "simplify" an algebraic expression?

Simplifying an algebraic expression means to rewrite it in a way that is easier to understand and work with. It involves reducing the number of terms and operations in the expression while still maintaining its value.

4. Can you provide an example of simplifying an algebraic expression?

Yes, for example, the expression 3x + 2x can be simplified to 5x by combining the like terms (3x and 2x). Another example is (4x + 3) + (2x + 5), which can be simplified to 6x + 8 by using the distributive property and combining like terms.

5. Why is it important to simplify algebraic expressions?

Simplifying algebraic expressions is important because it makes them easier to work with and understand. It also helps in solving equations and finding solutions to problems. Additionally, simplifying expressions can help identify patterns and relationships between variables, making it easier to analyze and interpret mathematical concepts.