Synthetic division with complex number

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of synthetic division with complex numbers. The speaker was able to solve the first problem by using +i for the synthetic divisor constant. However, they were unable to figure out the next problem which involved finding P(2-i). The book's answer was -5, but the speaker was unsure how to get to this result using synthetic division. They also mention that their online class does not provide any examples on performing synthetic division with complex numbers. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the other person for clarifying that they just needed to find the remainder for (2-i).
jkristia
I have been doing some homework on synthetic division today.
Most of it is pretty straight forward, until I got to a problem with complex number

I was able to solve the first problem
(x^3 – 3x^2 + x – 3) / (x-i)
By using +i for the ‘synthetic divisor constant’ (sorry don’t know the proper name)
Q = x^2 + (-3+i)x + 3i, R = 0

But I cannot figure out the next problem. It says

“Let P(x) = x^2 + 2ix – 10, Use synthetic division to find P(2-i)”

I think I have to use (-2+i) for the divisor (??), but the answer in the book is just -5, so it seems like they simply evaluated the polynomial for x = (2-i), which of course is what P(2-i) mean, but is there any way to get to this result using synthetic division? The book does not give a single example on how to perform the division using complex number, and it is a pure online class, so no teacher to ask.

Thanks
Jesper

Physics news on Phys.org
jkristia said:
I think I have to use (-2+i) for the divisor (??),
No, not for synthetic division. Finding P(2-i) is the same as finding the remainder when dividing
[tex]\frac{x^2 + 2ix - 10}{x - (2 - i)}[/tex]

jkristia said:
but the answer in the book is just -5, so it seems like they simply evaluated the polynomial for x = (2-i), which of course is what P(2-i) mean, but is there any way to get to this result using synthetic division? The book does not give a single example on how to perform the division using complex number, and it is a pure online class, so no teacher to ask.

Synthetic division is no different, really, with complex numbers. Just remember that when you add two complex numbers, you add the corresponding real and imaginary coefficients, and when you multiply complex numbers, you can "FOIL." Here is an example of using synthetic division to verify that 1-i is a root of the cubic x3 - 3x2 + 4x - 2:

Code:
1-i|  1   -3     4    -2
---+       1-i  -3+i   2
    ---------------------
      1   -2-i   1+i   0

Ahh, I see, all they are asking is to find the remainder for (2-i). Thank you very much

Code:
2-i |  1   0+2i   -10
    |      2-1i   (2-i)(2+i) = 5
-----------------------------------
       1   2+1i   -5 <- remainder

Last edited:

1. What is synthetic division with complex numbers?

Synthetic division with complex numbers is a method used to divide a polynomial with complex coefficients by a linear factor of the form (x-a), where a is a complex number. It is a simplified form of polynomial long division and is useful in solving equations involving complex numbers.

2. How is synthetic division with complex numbers performed?

To perform synthetic division with complex numbers, the polynomial coefficients are arranged in descending order, with any missing terms represented by a coefficient of 0. The divisor (x-a) is then written in the form (x-a+0i), where i is the imaginary unit. The division process is then carried out, using the same steps as synthetic division with real numbers.

3. What are the advantages of using synthetic division with complex numbers?

One advantage of using synthetic division with complex numbers is that it is a quicker and more efficient method compared to polynomial long division. It also allows for easier identification of the remainder and quotient, which can be useful in solving equations involving complex numbers.

4. Can synthetic division with complex numbers be used to find roots of a polynomial?

Yes, synthetic division with complex numbers can be used to find the roots of a polynomial. If the remainder of the division is 0, then the complex number a is a root of the polynomial. This can be useful in finding all the roots of a polynomial and solving equations involving complex numbers.

5. Are there any limitations to using synthetic division with complex numbers?

One limitation of synthetic division with complex numbers is that it can only be used for dividing by linear factors of the form (x-a). It cannot be used for dividing by quadratic or higher degree factors. Additionally, it is not suitable for dividing by polynomials with non-constant coefficients.