System of Coulped ODE's/ Panic Attack

• Thread starter H-bar None
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation is about finding the equations x(t) and y(t) given dx/dt = -xy and dy/dt = -xy. The person asking the question is struggling to find an analytical solution and is wondering if linearization would work. Another person suggests solving for dy/dt = dx/dt and then plugging in y to dx/dt = -xy to get a separable equation. The conversation ends with a discussion about finding the correct constants.
H-bar None

Homework Statement

dx/dt = -xy

dy/dt =-xy

find x(t) and y(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Maple I've plotted the vector field and solution curve for a list of initial conditions. When I tried to work by hand I could find a way to uncoulple the equations. Is there an analytical solution? Method (linearization and etc. )works best? I've sifted through numerous textbooks and couldn't find a decent example.

Physics news on Phys.org
As a first step I would integrate dx/dt=dy/dt.

Are you telling me its that simple?

Could you go a little further?

Last edited:
1st solve dy/dt = dx/dt. You should then be able to solve for y. Next you could plug y into dx/dt = -xy to get a seperable equation. Then solve for x & y. Be careful with your constants!

My first thought was that dy/dx= -xy/-xy= 1 but that is precisely what Dick and pki15 are saying.

1. What is a system of coupled ordinary differential equations (ODE's)?

A system of coupled ordinary differential equations is a set of equations that describe the behavior of multiple variables over time. These equations are connected and influence each other, making it necessary to solve them simultaneously.

2. How is a system of coupled ODE's used in modeling panic attacks?

A system of coupled ODE's can be used to model the physiological and psychological processes involved in panic attacks. By simulating the interactions between various bodily and mental systems, researchers can gain a better understanding of the underlying mechanisms of panic attacks.

3. What are the benefits of using a system of coupled ODE's to model panic attacks?

Using a system of coupled ODE's allows for a more comprehensive and dynamic representation of panic attacks, taking into account the complex interactions between various bodily and mental processes. This can lead to more accurate predictions and insights into the causes and treatments of panic attacks.

4. What are some challenges in using a system of coupled ODE's to model panic attacks?

One of the main challenges is accurately representing the complex and often nonlinear relationships between physiological and psychological variables involved in panic attacks. Additionally, obtaining accurate and comprehensive data to inform the model can also be difficult.

5. How are systems of coupled ODE's used in research on panic attacks?

Systems of coupled ODE's are used in various ways in research on panic attacks. They can be used to develop and test theories about the underlying mechanisms of panic attacks, evaluate the effectiveness of different treatments, and identify potential targets for intervention.