System of differential equations eigenvalues

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system with a repeated eigenvalue. The person asking the question obtained an eigenvalue of -3 and an eigenvector of [1], but was unsure if they were correct. The expert suggests looking into methods for solving systems with repeated eigenvalues, and provides links for further explanation.
hocuspocus102

Homework Statement

solve the system:
dx/dt = [1 -4] x
_______[4 -7]
with x(0) = [3]
__________[2]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got both eigenvalues of the matrix are -3 and so both eigenvectors are [1]
_____________________________________________________________[1]
so then when I try to solve with the initial condition I get the equation is
Ce^(-3(0))[1] = [3]
__________[1]__[2]
which would lead to C[1] = [3]
__________________[1]___[2]
meaning C = 3 and C = 2 which is impossible because it's the same constant...
Did I get the right eigenvalues and vectors? or is there something I'm missing when it comes to plugging in for the initial condition? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hocuspocus102 said:

Homework Statement

solve the system:
dx/dt = [1 -4] x
_______[4 -7]
with x(0) = [3]
__________[2]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got both eigenvalues of the matrix are -3 and so both eigenvectors are [1]
_____________________________________________________________[1]
so then when I try to solve with the initial condition I get the equation is
Ce^(-3(0))[1] = [3]
__________[1]__[2]
which would lead to C[1] = [3]
__________________[1]___[2]
meaning C = 3 and C = 2 which is impossible because it's the same constant...
Did I get the right eigenvalues and vectors? or is there something I'm missing when it comes to plugging in for the initial condition? Thanks!
The eigenvalue -3 is repeated, so there is only one eigenvector, <1, 1>, so your work to this point looks fine. Does your text discuss what to do when there are fewer eigenvectors than needed?

no, it only gives examples of how to use 2 different eigenvalues with their corresponding 2 different eigenvectors. is there a different way to do it?

oh ok, thank you very much!

Related to System of differential equations eigenvalues

1. What is a system of differential equations?

A system of differential equations is a set of equations that describes the relationship between multiple variables, where each variable is a function of one or more of the other variables. These equations involve the derivatives of the variables, making them differential equations.

2. What are eigenvalues of a system of differential equations?

Eigenvalues of a system of differential equations are the values that satisfy a particular characteristic equation associated with the system. They represent the solutions to the system of equations and can be used to determine the stability and behavior of the system.

3. How do you find the eigenvalues of a system of differential equations?

The eigenvalues of a system of differential equations can be found by solving the characteristic equation associated with the system. This equation is formed by taking the determinant of a matrix formed by the coefficients of the system's equations. The solutions to this equation are the eigenvalues.

4. What is the significance of eigenvalues in studying systems of differential equations?

The eigenvalues of a system of differential equations provide important information about the stability and behavior of the system. By analyzing the values and their corresponding eigenvectors, we can determine whether the system is stable, and if so, in what way it will approach equilibrium.

5. Can eigenvalues be complex numbers?

Yes, eigenvalues can be complex numbers. This is especially common in systems of differential equations with non-real coefficients. In these cases, the complex eigenvalues and eigenvectors provide important information about the oscillatory behavior of the system.