System of differential equations in Maple

In summary, the conversation is about solving a system of differential equations using the Maple 13 software. The equations involve the variables m1, m2, m3, and m4, and are solved by setting specific values for the independent variable t. The conversation also includes a code example for solving the equations and obtaining the values for the variables. This information may be helpful for anyone looking to solve similar problems.
RGB_Mendes
Hi everybody.

I'm using the Maple 13 software (in linux mint) to solve system compounded by the four below differential equations:

> ode1 := (diff(m1(t), t)) = - m1(t) + (1/2)*tanh( m2(t) + m4(t) + cos(t) );
> ode2 := (diff(m2(t), t)) = - m2(t) + (1/2)*tanh( m1(t) + cos(t) );
> ode3 := (diff(m3(t), t)) = - m3(t) + (1/2)*tanh( m4(t) + cos(t) );
> ode4 := (diff(m4(t), t)) = - m4(t) + (1/2)*tanh( m3(t) + m1(t) + cos(t) );Anyone knows how can I plot the "m1", "m2", "m3" and "m4" by the independent variable "t" ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi guys.

I found a way to solve the above problem. I didn't immediately plot the graphs, but I obtained the values of each greatness "mi(t)" through specific values of parametric variable "t". Below an example for t=0.8.

> restart;
> with(DEtools, DEplot);
> with(plots);
>
> # ode1 := diff(m1(t), t) = -m1(t)+(1/2)*tanh(m2(t)+m4(t)+cos(t));
> # ode2 := diff(m2(t), t) = -m2(t)+(1/2)*tanh(m1(t)+cos(t));
> # ode3 := diff(m3(t), t) = -m3(t)+(1/2)*tanh(m4(t)+cos(t));
> # ode4 := diff(m4(t), t) = -m4(t)+(1/2)*tanh(m3(t)+m1(t)+cos(t));
>
> dsys := {diff(m1(t), t) = -m1(t)+(1/2)*tanh(m2(t)+m4(t)+cos(t)), diff(m2(t), t) = -m2(t)+(1/2)*tanh(m1(t)+cos(t)), diff(m3(t), t) = -m3(t)+(1/2)*tanh(m4(t)+cos(t)), diff(m4(t), t) = -m4(t)+(1/2)*tanh(m3(t)+m1(t)+cos(t)),m1(0) = 0, m2(0) = 0, m3(0) = 0, m4(0) = 0};
> dsn1 := dsolve(dsys, numeric);
> dsn1(.8);
[t = 0.8, m1(t) = 0.225131111929745192, m2(t) = 0.211465317954931536, m3(t) = 0.211465317954931536, m4(t) = 0.225131111929745192]I expect this topic may be helpful.

1. What is a system of differential equations?

A system of differential equations is a set of equations that describe the relationship between multiple variables and their rates of change. These equations involve derivatives, and can be used to model complex systems in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology.

2. How can Maple be used to solve systems of differential equations?

Maple is a powerful mathematical software that has built-in functions and tools specifically designed for solving systems of differential equations. It uses numerical and analytical methods to find solutions and can also visualize the solutions in graphical form.

3. What types of systems of differential equations can Maple handle?

Maple can handle a wide range of systems of differential equations, including linear and non-linear systems, systems with constant or time-varying coefficients, and systems with initial or boundary conditions.

4. How accurate are the solutions obtained from Maple?

The accuracy of the solutions obtained from Maple depends on the complexity of the system and the chosen method of solution. Generally, Maple provides highly accurate solutions, but it is always important to check the results and make sure they make sense in the context of the problem.

5. Can Maple be used to solve real-world problems involving systems of differential equations?

Yes, Maple is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields to solve real-world problems involving systems of differential equations. It can handle complex systems and provide accurate solutions, making it a valuable tool for researchers and professionals.