System of two equations with fractions

In summary, the conversation is about solving a system of equations, with the goal of finding the values of x and y. The equations are (7 + x)/5 - (2x - y)/4 - 3y = -5 and (5y - 7)/2 - (4x - 3)/6 - 18 = -5x. The person attempting to solve the problem simplifies the equations and ends up with 6x + 55y = 128 and 34x + 15y = 129. However, they are unsure of where to go from there and are seeking help. The answer given in the book is x = 3 and y = 2, but the person is
Hivoyer

Homework Statement

These are the two equations:

(7 + x)/5 - (2x - y)/4 - 3y = -5
(5y - 7)/2 - (4x - 3)/6 - 18 = -5x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I try to simplify it, I end up with:

6x + 55y = 128
34x + 15y = 129

I'm not sure where to go with this, I think I should have gone a different route instead of just trying to simplify the equations.Does anyone know where I might have gone wrong?
By the way, in the answers of the book it says that X is 3 and Y is 2, however I must find them by solving the problem, but I am stuck.Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hivoyer said:
:
the book it says that X is 3 and Y is 2,
Are you sure you've stated the problem correctly? The second one is perhaps = -6x on the right?
6x + 55y = 128
34x + 15y = 129
Have you not been shown how to solve simultaneous equations? It's very easy. One way is to write one of the equations in the form y = (some expression with x and constants but no y's), then use that to replace y in the other equation.

Yeah thanks, but it seems like the problem is wrong, the second equation doesn't add up with the answer they've given, even when I calculate it with software.

Hivoyer said:

Homework Statement

These are the two equations:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I try to simplify it, I end up with:

6x + 55y = 128
34x + 15y = 129

I'm not sure where to go with this, I think I should have gone a different route instead of just trying to simplify the equations.Does anyone know where I might have gone wrong?
By the way, in the answers of the book it says that X is 3 and Y is 2, however I must find them by solving the problem, but I am stuck.Any help would be appreciated.

The solution of your two equations (exactly as written) is x = 501/134, y = 643/335. Are you sure you wrote the correct equations?

BTW: when I (or, actually, Maple 14) simplify your equations I get
[tex]6x + 55y = 128\\
26x + 15y = 126[/tex]
and these also give the values of x and y as stated above.

Check your arithmetic on both equations.

1. What is a system of two equations with fractions?

A system of two equations with fractions is a set of two linear equations that contain fractions in their coefficients or variables. These equations are usually written in the form of Ax + By = C, where A, B, and C are numbers and x and y are variables.

2. How do you solve a system of two equations with fractions?

To solve a system of two equations with fractions, you can use the elimination method or the substitution method. In the elimination method, you multiply one or both equations by a number to eliminate the fractions. In the substitution method, you solve one equation for one variable and substitute the result into the other equation.

3. Can a system of two equations with fractions have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of two equations with fractions can have one, infinite, or no solutions. If the equations are equivalent, then there are infinite solutions. If the equations are parallel, then there are no solutions. Otherwise, there is one unique solution.

4. What is the importance of solving systems of equations?

Solving systems of equations is important in many fields such as science, engineering, and economics. It allows us to find the relationship between different variables and make predictions or solve real-life problems. It also helps us to check the consistency of data and identify any errors.

5. Is there a shortcut to solve systems of equations with fractions?

Yes, there is a shortcut called the cross-multiplication method. It involves multiplying the numerator of one fraction with the denominator of the other fraction and vice versa. This method can be used when the equations only have one variable with a fraction coefficient.