1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of two equations with fractions

1. May 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

These are the two equations:

(7 + x)/5 - (2x - y)/4 - 3y = -5
    (5y - 7)/2 - (4x - 3)/6 - 18 = -5x

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

When I try to simplify it, I end up with:

6x + 55y = 128
    34x + 15y = 129

I'm not sure where to go with this, I think I should have gone a different route instead of just trying to simplify the equations.Does anyone know where I might have gone wrong?
    By the way, in the answers of the book it says that X is 3 and Y is 2, however I must find them by solving the problem, but I am stuck.Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you sure you've stated the problem correctly? The second one is perhaps = -6x on the right?
    Have you not been shown how to solve simultaneous equations? It's very easy. One way is to write one of the equations in the form y = (some expression with x and constants but no y's), then use that to replace y in the other equation.

4. May 23, 2013 #3
    Yeah thanks, but it seems like the problem is wrong, the second equation doesn't add up with the answer they've given, even when I calculate it with software.

5. May 23, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The solution of your two equations (exactly as written) is x = 501/134, y = 643/335. Are you sure you wrote the correct equations?

BTW: when I (or, actually, Maple 14) simplify your equations I get
    [tex]6x + 55y = 128\\
    26x + 15y = 126[/tex]
    and these also give the values of x and y as stated above.

6. May 23, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Check your arithmetic on both equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted