T(f) = f + f', show that T is not diagonalizable

• Thread starter L.Wil
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that T is not diagonalizable for n greater than or equal to 1. The conversation explores different methods of solving for the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, including using the definition of k[x] as polynomials and solving for (λ-1)f = f'. It is concluded that there are not enough eigenvalues for T to be diagonalizable, as there are only constant eigenfunctions for the only possible eigenvalue of 1. This is not enough to span the entire space of k[x]_n, which has a dimension of n. Therefore, T is not diagonalizable.
L.Wil

Homework Statement

T: k[x]n -> k[x]n

T(f) = f + f'

show that T is not diagonalizable for n >= 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would usually start by getting a characteristic polynomial but I don't know how to do that here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I also thought I could make it into an ODE and solve for the eigenvalue but i couldn't get that to work

L.Wil said:
I also thought I could make it into an ODE and solve for the eigenvalue but i couldn't get that to work

k[x] are polynomials? If so look at the ODE an eigenvector has to satisfy and think about degrees of polynomials.

It doesn't say whether k[x] are polynomials.

So would the ODE be λf = f + f'

And then I solve for λ?

L.Wil said:
It doesn't say whether k[x] are polynomials.

So would the ODE be λf = f + f'

And then I solve for λ?

The definition of k[x] is pretty important to how you solve this problem. You need to find out what it is.

Looking at my notes I think that k[x] are polynomials

L.Wil said:
Looking at my notes I think that k[x] are polynomials

Write your equation as (λ-1)f = f'. If λ isn't 1, what can you say about the degrees of the polynomials on each side?

That the degree of the polynomial on the right is one less than on the left?

L.Wil said:
That the degree of the polynomial on the right is one less than on the left?

What do you conclude from that?

That there aren't enough eigenvalues for it to be diagonalizable?

I'm not really sure!

L.Wil said:
That there aren't enough eigenvalues for it to be diagonalizable?

I'm not really sure!

You going to try to show there aren't enough eigenvectors or functions. To do that you have to figure out all the possible ways (λ-1)f = f' can be solved. Go back to your comment about the λ≠1 case. Can two polynomials of different degree be equal?

No I don't think so?

I solved it to get f(x) = ke^((λ-1)x)

Should i rearrange for λ?

L.Wil said:
I solved it to get f(x) = ke^((λ-1)x)

Should i rearrange for λ?

That doesn't work because the exponential isn't generally a polynomial. You only want polynomial solutions. You've ruled out λ≠1. Are there polynomial solutions if λ=1? What do they look like?

Thanks so much for all of your help.

If λ=1, f'(x)=0

and so f(x) = constant?

L.Wil said:
Thanks so much for all of your help.

If λ=1, f'(x)=0

and so f(x) = constant?

Very welcome! Ok, so your only possible eigenvalue is 1 and all of the eigenfunctions are constants. If T were diagonalizable in k[x]_n how many linearly independent eigenfunctions would you need? What's the dimension of k[x]_n?

What does "T(f) = f + f'" mean?

This notation means that the function T takes in a function f and produces a new function by adding f to its derivative, denoted by f'.

What does it mean for a function to be diagonalizable?

A function is diagonalizable if it can be written as a linear combination of simpler functions that are easier to work with. Essentially, this means that the function can be broken down into smaller, independent parts.

Why is it important to show that T is not diagonalizable?

Demonstrating that a function is not diagonalizable can provide insight into its behavior and properties. It can also help in finding alternative ways to represent the function or solve problems related to it.

How can I show that T is not diagonalizable?

You can show that T is not diagonalizable by using the definition of diagonalizability, which involves finding a set of linearly independent eigenvectors that span the function. If you are unable to find such a set, then the function is not diagonalizable.

Can T be diagonalizable in certain cases?

Yes, it is possible for T to be diagonalizable in certain cases. For example, if the function T is a polynomial of degree less than or equal to 2, then it will always be diagonalizable. However, there are also cases where T is not diagonalizable, such as when T is an exponential or trigonometric function.