1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Taking a course in modern algebra

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1
    Hope this is the right place for this...Just wondering what you guys think about modern algebra course. Is it impossibly difficult? Is it fine? Extremely difficult to comprehend? Workload in general? I've taken math until Linear Algebra, and do to some circumstances, I'm looking at taking modern algebra via stanford's online EPGY program. I am also planning to take calc 3 concurrently at a community college (i'm in high school). Will i die in modern algebra?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2007 #2
    If you took a good linear algebra course so that you are comfortable writing proofs you should be fine. Of course it can be made easy or hard, but the EPGY courses are at a pretty decent level. Go for it.

4. Aug 1, 2007 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

this is like asking is soup good? will it make me sick? is it hot?

the only clue you give us is the program is titled for "gifted youth". do you know their definition of gifted? is it a certain sat score at the age of 12? or an IQ score? or what? do you meet the criterion? or is it just BS?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  5. Aug 1, 2007 #4
    ^epgy is basically for students who are "advanced". for example, I've finished all the math curriculum at my high school, and I am wanting to move forward. It's hard to find classes at other places (state universities too far, etc) other than community college (even then there might be scheduling conflicts...since I still need to go to other high school classes). But i guess it's supposed to be a regular undergrad course, and you interact with a stanford professor.

6. Aug 1, 2007 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

well why not go for it? it will have a good prof and be good math, and you should enjoy it if you keep up faithfully. and it will probably be more challenging than high school AP courses but thats what you seem to be looking for. good luck.

you might prepare by reading some of the many suggested books recommended here and elsewhere. or the book for the course itself. what is that if i may ask?

7. Aug 2, 2007 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

has anyone tried to read the latest (prelim prep) algebra book on my website? the one with a 4 page outline followed by an 88 page book plus 12 pages of hw and tests?

that makes what i'll call a 100 page algebra book. this is pretty much the one semester course i taught fall 2006.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?