1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Taking Automata Theory and Analysis of Algorithms together?

1. May 17, 2016 #1
    So i'm at a bit of a cross roads. For this summer semester, due to class restrictions I can only take either operating systems with Automata Theory, or Analysis of Algorithms with Automata Theory. I've heard from many people that Algorithms is a nightmare, and i'm not sure if taking Automata with algorithms is a smart idea. I don't have any withdrawals left to drop the class if i can't handle it, so it's either i don't take it and potentially save myself from a train wreck, or bite the bullet. I'm also working part time during the summer but i can minimize my hours if need be. If i choose to not take it, I would have to pay 700~ out of pocket which would hurt my finances but i think i can handle it. I could use some major feedback and opinions on this, how hard is algorithms? And would it be academic suicide taking Automata with it? I don't know what to expect..

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2016 #2
    It really depends on you. When I was a student I did not have any interest in CS theory. My focus was on computer architecture, operating systems, and networks. When I took analysis of algorithms I hated it. That attitude made it difficult. Over a decade later, as a working software engineer, I love studying algorithms! I don't think the material is hard if you enjoy it. If you are completely put off by the notion of algorithm analysis, you may find it to be a bit of a struggle.

To complicate matters, the class can be taught a couple different ways. One way is very mathematical (see Robert Sedgewick's "Analysis of Algorithms" book), while the other way is a bit more intuitive (see Steve Skiena's "Algorithm Design Manual" book).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted