Math Minor for MSE in Comp. Engineering

In summary, the recommended course sequences for a master's in Computer Engineering include MA585 Probability, CPE 619: Modeling and Analysis of Computer and Communication Systems, MA540: Combinatorial Enumeration, MA640: Graph Theory, MA740: Combinatorial Algorithms, EE 629 & EE 630: Analytical and Computational Methods in EE I & II, and CS 555: Formal Program and CS 603: Formal Languages and Development Automata Theory. The first option may not be available in the next two semesters. Other options to consider are Combinatorial Enumeration, Graph Theory, Combinatorial Algorithms, Numerical Analysis, and Linear Algebra. These courses cover a wide range of topics and may be more specific and beneficial
Kdar
While doing my master's I have to take a sequence of two classes in math. My master's is in Computer Engineering, mostly on subject of embedded systems, computer architecture and OS, with focus on power management for my thesis.

List below shows recommended course sequences:
Recommended Course Sequences.
MA585 Probability CPE 619: Modeling and Analysis of Computer and Communication Systems
MA540: Combinatorial Enumeration MA640: Graph Theory
MA640: Graph Theory MA740: Combinatorial Algorithms
EE 629 & EE 630: Analytical and Computational Methods in EE I & II
CS 555: Formal Program CS 603: Formal Languages and Development Automata Theory

First option will be impossible to take just because it will not be offered during next two semesters.

Next I was thinking to take EE629 & 630, which is basically advanced math course covering wide range of topics. Some of those topics I already touched in previous classes and some sections seems to be suited more for mechanical or electrical engineering (which I did for my undergraduate degree).

However, what do you think of Combinatorial Enumeration, Graph Theory and Combinatorial Algorithms? This would be more specific and possibly I can get more from those classes and it will be something new to me (especially Graph Theory). I also got somewhat interested in graph theory after doing a little research... However, how useful would two of those classes (MA540 & MA640 or MA640 & MA740)? What would be possible applications of those math courses?

Or maybe.. someone can recommend me something else to take from mathematical curriculum.

How about taking something like Numerical Analysis and Linear Algebra?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

What is a Math Minor for MSE in Comp. Engineering?

A Math Minor for MSE in Comp. Engineering is a program that allows students majoring in Computer Engineering to also study and gain knowledge in mathematics, providing a well-rounded education in both fields.

Why should I pursue a Math Minor for MSE in Comp. Engineering?

Pursuing a Math Minor for MSE in Comp. Engineering can give you a better understanding of the mathematical principles and concepts that are relevant to computer engineering. This can enhance your problem-solving skills and make you more competitive in the job market.

What courses are typically included in a Math Minor for MSE in Comp. Engineering?

The exact courses may vary depending on the university, but typically a Math Minor for MSE in Comp. Engineering will include foundational math courses such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, as well as more advanced courses in areas like discrete mathematics, numerical methods, and statistics.

Can I complete a Math Minor for MSE in Comp. Engineering in addition to my major?

Yes, a Math Minor for MSE in Comp. Engineering is designed to be completed alongside your major courses. However, it is important to carefully plan your schedule to ensure that you can successfully complete both programs within the given timeframe.

How can a Math Minor for MSE in Comp. Engineering benefit my career?

Holding a Math Minor for MSE in Comp. Engineering can make you a more well-rounded and versatile candidate for jobs in the technology industry. It can also open up opportunities for graduate studies in fields such as computer science, data science, and artificial intelligence.