1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking D.E. and Applied Calculus for Engineers Together?

1. Aug 15, 2011 #1
    I would like to know if the following would be too heavy while taking E&M and possibly Materials Science.

ENGR 213 Applied Ordinary Differential
    Equations (3 credits)
    Prerequisite: MATH 204 (Cegep Mathematics 105)
    previously or concurrently; MATH 205 (Cegep
    Mathematics 203). This course introduces engineering students to the theory and application of
    ordinary differential equations. Definition and ter‑
    minology, initial-value problems, separable differential equations, linear equations, exact equations,
    solutions by substitution, linear models, orthogonal
    trajectories, complex numbers, form of complex
    numbers: powers and roots, theory: linear equations, homogeneous linear equations with constant
    coefficients, undetermined coefficients, variation of
    parameters, Cauchy-Euler equation, reduction of
    order, linear models: initial value, review of power
    series, power series solutions, theory, homogeneous linear systems, solution by diagonalisation,
    non-homogeneous linear systems. Eigenvalues
    and eigenvectors. Lectures: three hours per
    week. Tutorial: two hours per week.

Alongside:

ENGR 233 Applied Advanced Calculus
    (3 credits)
    Prerequisite: MATH 204 (Cegep Mathematics
    105); MATH 205 (Cegep Mathematics 203). This
    course introduces engineering students to the
    theory and application of advanced calculus.
    Functions of several variables, partial derivatives,
    total and exact differentials, approximations
    with differentials. Tangent plane and normal line
    to a surface, directional derivatives, gradient.
    Double and triple integrals. Polar, cylindrical,
    and spherical coordinates. Change of variables
    in double and triple integrals. Vector differential
    calculus; divergence, curl, curvature, line
    integrals, Green’s theorem, surface integrals,
    divergence theorem, applications of divergence
    theorem, Stokes’ theorem. Lectures: three hours
    per week. Tutorial: two hours per week.

Please note that I have taken (and am rather comfortable with) Linear Algebra.

Bottom line: would the semester be too heavy?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2011 #2
    Without knowing what else you are taking, no one will be able to tell you if the schedule will be too much (additionally, no one will ever be able to tell you if something is too much for you personally -- this is something that you need to measure for yourself).

That being said, taking two math courses along side one another is not generally an issue. It is also relatively common for people to take these two courses together (intro diffeQs, and calculus III -- this is presumably what these two courses are. Copying and pasting a course description is rather vague, given that the prerequisite numbers mean nothing out of context. That's what they look like, though).

4. Aug 15, 2011 #3
    Last Fall I took both Differential Equations and Calculus III at the same time and judging from these course descriptions it looks like that is what you're planning on taking also. I personally didn't consider the course load too heavy but it really depends on your professors and how much homework they assign.

5. Aug 15, 2011 #4
    Do you mean E&M as in Electromagnetism(upper level physics) or Electricity and Magnetism(intro E&M)? This really hinges on my advice. I'm going to assume its the latter because I doubt you would be able to enroll(or would even have a chance of surviving) if you aren't versed in vector calculus and differential equations.

Anyway, I would take both of those math courses. I am surprised the diffeq course doesn't have Laplace transforms in its description though....I'll also assume this is covered in the course because you can basically say goodbye to having to solve many of those equations with their each individualized method.

The Advanced calculus course sounds exactly like Calc 3. This class along with diffeq will build a strong foundation for you. I say go for it!

6. Aug 15, 2011 #5
    You are correct--it IS introductory E&M. I will go for it--thank you all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook