1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Does this sound like VERY basic Thermodynamics (course description included)

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1
    I plan on adding a 5th class to my semester (which is already quite packed), however I was wondering if this sounded like the Thermodynamics class that everyone on PF always complains about:

"ENGR 251 Thermodynamics I (3 credits)
    Prerequisite: MATH 203 (Cegep Mathematics
    103 [Calculus 1]). Basic principles of thermodynamics and
    their application to various systems composed
    of pure substances and their homogeneous
    non-reactive mixtures. Simple power production
    and utilization cycles. Lectures: three hours per
    week. Tutorial: two hours per week."

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2

cjl

It sounds very much like my first semester thermodynamics course. I don't see anything particularly wrong with it, although it won't go into a ton of detail. Of course, no introductory course (on pretty much any topic) will, so I don't see that as a problem. If you really want an understanding of thermodynamics, you'll probably need at least another semester of it after that course, but it looks like a decent introduction.

4. Jul 6, 2011 #3
    Would you say it would be overkill to pack it into a semester with ODE and Statics?

5. Jul 7, 2011 #4
    Anyone?

6. Jul 7, 2011 #5

cjl

That depends on what else you're taking, but if those are your only other technical courses, not at all. I took my first semester thermo course simultaneously with DiffEQ/linear algebra and statics (and one other course I don't remember), and it was completely doable.

7. Jul 7, 2011 #6
    Other courses include Environmental Engineering Principles and Ethics/Responsibility of an Engineer.

8. Jul 7, 2011 #7
    Thank you for your input BTW.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook