Taking Graduate courses from a different department

In summary, it is possible for students in one department to take courses in another department, but it may vary depending on the school and department. Some schools may have specific requirements for courses, while others may allow students to take courses from other departments. It is best to speak with the department at the school you are interested in attending to see if this is allowed. Additionally, different engineering departments may collaborate on research projects, and it is common for students to take courses from multiple departments in graduate school.
moogull
I'm headed off to graduate school soon, and I was wondering if it is common or even allowed that a student in Department A take a course on a topic in Department B. In my situation, I will be in the mechanical engineering department, but say I wanted to take a class on rocket propulsion offered by the aerospace engineering department, does this happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
It can happen, but I think it depends strongly on the particular school and the particular department.

For example, when I did my Ph.D. in Physics, I was required to take certain specific physics courses, and a minimum number of courses. The Physics Department let me count three graduate courses in pure mathematics towards the minimum number.

When you get to grad school, talk to the department. If this might influence your decision about which school to attend for grad school, contact the departments now.

Thanks for the feedback George, another question came to mind, how much do different engineering departments at a school collaborate on research projects?

moogull said:
I'm headed off to graduate school soon, and I was wondering if it is common or even allowed that a student in Department A take a course on a topic in Department B. In my situation, I will be in the mechanical engineering department, but say I wanted to take a class on rocket propulsion offered by the aerospace engineering department, does this happen?

It seems common to me - everyone I knew in grad school took grad classes from at least 2 departments. Likewise, many of the newly minted PhDs I interview take grad classes from multiple deps.

I can say that it is not only common but also highly encouraged for graduate students to take courses from different departments. In fact, interdisciplinary studies are becoming increasingly important in the scientific community as they allow for a more holistic approach to problem-solving and research. Taking courses from different departments can provide you with a broader understanding of your field and give you a competitive edge in your future career.

In your specific situation, I believe it would be highly beneficial for you to take a course on rocket propulsion offered by the aerospace engineering department. This will not only expand your knowledge in the field of mechanical engineering but also give you a deeper understanding of the principles and applications of rocket propulsion. It may also open up opportunities for collaboration with students and researchers from other departments, leading to innovative and impactful projects.

In terms of whether it is allowed, I suggest consulting with your academic advisor or the department offering the course. They will be able to provide you with the necessary information and guide you in selecting courses that align with your academic and career goals. Overall, I highly encourage students to take advantage of the diverse course offerings and interdisciplinary opportunities available in graduate school.

1. What are the benefits of taking graduate courses from a different department?

Taking graduate courses from a different department can provide a broader perspective and a deeper understanding of your field of study. It can also help you develop interdisciplinary skills and connections, which can be valuable in your future career.

2. Can I take graduate courses from a different department even if it's not related to my major?

Yes, you can take graduate courses from a different department as long as you meet the prerequisites and obtain approval from your advisor or the department offering the course. It can be beneficial to explore different subjects and broaden your knowledge base.

3. Will taking graduate courses from a different department affect my GPA?

Yes, any courses you take will be factored into your overall GPA, regardless of the department. However, if you perform well in these courses, it can positively impact your GPA and demonstrate your ability to excel in diverse subjects.

4. How will taking graduate courses from a different department affect my graduation timeline?

It depends on your program and the specific courses you take. Some graduate programs allow a certain number of credits from other departments to count towards your degree requirements, while others may require you to take additional courses to make up for those credits. It's important to consult with your advisor to understand how taking courses from a different department may affect your graduation timeline.

5. Can I transfer credits from graduate courses taken in a different department to another university?

It depends on the policies of the university you are transferring to. Some universities may accept transfer credits from graduate courses taken in a different department, while others may not. It's best to check with the university's registrar or admissions office for their specific policies on credit transfers.