Taking linear algebra after only Calculus 1

In summary, the conversation revolved around whether calculus is a sufficient prerequisite for linear algebra, with some people arguing that the basics of linear algebra can be picked up without a calculus background and others mentioning that certain topics in linear algebra, such as regression analysis, do require knowledge of calculus. The difficulty of linear algebra was also acknowledged, with some advice given to prepare for abstract and proof-based thinking. Ultimately, the suggestion was made to ask the instructor of the linear algebra course for specific topics and to not ignore prerequisites.
JesseJC
hey all, I've begun my engineering degree and have been enjoying it thoroughly, my first semester naturally wasn't too hot, I've got around a 2.7 so far, but my school states calculus 1 as a prerequisite for linear algebra, I hardly went to class and flipped classes but consistently scored above average with a b-. Of course I'm not going to act this way next semester, but is calculus 1 really sufficient enough to go straight into linear algebra ?

Physics news on Phys.org
JesseJC said:
hey all, I've begun my engineering degree and have been enjoying it thoroughly, my first semester naturally wasn't too hot, I've got around a 2.7 so far, but my school states calculus 1 as a prerequisite for linear algebra, I hardly went to class and flipped classes but consistently scored above average with a b-. Of course I'm not going to act this way next semester, but is calculus 1 really sufficient enough to go straight into linear algebra ?

IDK if calculus is really a prerequisite for LA or if your school is just trying to scare people.

Most of the basics of LA need no calculus background. I picked up the basics in regular algebra classes and a numerical analysis class.

You may ask the instructor of the LA course at your school the specific topics in the course which supposedly require knowledge of calculus and then decide if you want to take LA. Some topics which use LA, like regression analysis, use calculus in their derivation.

Linear Algebra is just hard, you don't really need calc for it. Most people take calc before hand just to organize the difficulty scaling or because they need to practice the mathematical way of thinking more before they can handle Linear Algebra.

Be prepared for a lot of abstract and complicated thinking in Linear Algebra. Get ready to actually take school seriously and study.

Part of the difficulty that Niflheim is talking about is that linear algebra classes typically require you to prove statements, and calculus classes typically don't. Writing a coherent proof is a lot more difficult for many students that applying some procedure to take a derivative, find an antiderivative, and so on.

Niflheim said:
Linear Algebra is just hard, you don't really need calc for it

Have you taken a college course in linear algebra yet? A few days ago you had only studied up to geometry. If not, on what are you basing this opinion?

Mark44 is right about proofs. The other factor that is important is the analytic geometry that is taught alongside of the calculus. Without that, some of the theorems and ideas in linear algebra will seem to come from nowhere.

If its a lower division linear algebra class then its going to have some proofs but a lot of the computation stuff is pretty easy compared to calculus class. A lot of people take it with calculus 3 since you see some of the same material in that class also.

Loststudent22 said:
If its a lower division linear algebra class then its going to have some proofs but a lot of the computation stuff is pretty easy compared to calculus class. A lot of people take it with calculus 3 since you see some of the same material in that class also.
It's a lower division linear algebra class, I took calculus 1 and discrete math 1 which are both prerequisites in their own rights. If there is proofs in linear algebra then I should be set, because that was literally the only part of discrete math I enjoyed and thrived at.

SteamKing said:
IDK if calculus is really a prerequisite for LA or if your school is just trying to scare people.

Most of the basics of LA need no calculus background. I picked up the basics in regular algebra classes and a numerical analysis class.

You may ask the instructor of the LA course at your school the specific topics in the course which supposedly require knowledge of calculus and then decide if you want to take LA. Some topics which use LA, like regression analysis, use calculus in their derivation.
Does linear algebra require any visuospatial skills like calculus and physics ? Or is it completely abstract ?

JesseJC said:
Does linear algebra require any visuospatial skills like calculus and physics ? Or is it completely abstract ?

I think it helps to understand the concrete principles on the way to understanding the abstractions. A lot depends on how the course is taught, which is one reason I don't like to recommend that people ignore prerequisites.

Vanadium 50 said:
I think it helps to understand the concrete principles on the way to understanding the abstractions. A lot depends on how the course is taught, which is one reason I don't like to recommend that people ignore prerequisites.
Then I would say my response is ask the professor that plans to teach the class

Vanadium 50 said:
Nice, well hopefully I have a clear instructor, plenty of these guys have thick and incommunicable accents.

Vanadium 50 said:
Have you taken a college course in linear algebra yet? A few days ago you had only studied up to geometry. If not, on what are you basing this opinion?

Mark44 is right about proofs. The other factor that is important is the analytic geometry that is taught alongside of the calculus. Without that, some of the theorems and ideas in linear algebra will seem to come from nowhere.

Off of what my cousins and everyone that I've talked to in general.

1. Can I take linear algebra after only completing Calculus 1?

Yes, linear algebra can be taken after completing Calculus 1. While some universities may require students to complete Calculus 2 before taking linear algebra, others may allow students to take both concurrently. It is important to check with your academic advisor or the course requirements at your university.

2. Do I need a strong foundation in Calculus 1 to do well in linear algebra?

A strong foundation in Calculus 1 is helpful for understanding some concepts in linear algebra, but it is not essential. Linear algebra involves more abstract thinking and focuses on matrices and vector spaces, rather than the traditional calculus topics of limits, derivatives, and integrals.

3. How does linear algebra relate to Calculus 1?

Linear algebra and Calculus 1 are both branches of mathematics, but they have different focuses. Linear algebra is used to solve systems of linear equations and to study vector spaces and linear transformations. Calculus 1, on the other hand, is focused on the study of rates of change, derivatives, and integrals.

4. Are there any specific topics in Calculus 1 that I should review before taking linear algebra?

While there are no specific topics in Calculus 1 that are necessary for understanding linear algebra, having a solid understanding of basic algebra and solving equations is important. It may also be helpful to review basic matrix operations and properties, as they are commonly used in linear algebra.

5. What are the benefits of taking linear algebra after only completing Calculus 1?

Taking linear algebra after only completing Calculus 1 can be beneficial as it exposes students to different mathematical concepts and ways of thinking. It also provides a foundation for more advanced math courses, such as multivariate calculus and differential equations. Additionally, linear algebra is used in many fields, including computer science, physics, economics, and engineering, making it a valuable skill to have.