1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking Nonlinear Optics/Ultrafast Physics without E&M?

1. Jan 10, 2012 #1
    My school opened a new class this semester (Labeled as "Lasers and applications", but the syllabus has it as "Nonlinear optics and Ultrafast physics"), and I figured that as a junior-level physics major I should've been able to take it, since the course itself doesn't list any prerequisites. However, after looking through some of the book (
    Diels and Rudolph “Ultrashort Laser Pulse Phenomena, 2nd ed."), I've noticed it's kind of heavy on the E&M theory, which I haven't taken a course on yet. I'm really interested in taking the course, but I don't want to do poorly because I'm lacking the e&m theory. Has anyone taken a similar course and could offer me a suggestion?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2012 #2
    Hi Warfarink!

Ultrafast laser physics is a relatively new, hot and strongly emerging field of physics. I only can recommend to take the class.

But to work with it, you defenitely need a good background in E&M, especially when it comes to interaction of the lasers electric field with matter. If you do not want to feel like a dying duck in a thunderstorm, you should be versed in E&M bevore entering a UFAST or nonlinear optics class.

Cheers,
    Sebaestschn

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook