1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking OChem and Physics at the same time. Good idea or no?

1. Aug 29, 2012 #1
    I will be taking both Organic Chemistry and General Physics for Engineers next semester at a community college. Good idea or is that too much? i've heard that these two classes are the ones that most people struggle with. Are community colleges easier than four year universities?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2
    If they are the only STEM classes you are taking, and you're comfortable with liberal arts classes, then thats fine.

However, if you are taking any other STEM classes, drop one.

4. Aug 29, 2012 #3
    Nope, I think I'm just going to those two classes. I don't think I'm even going to take any liberal arts classes, just ochem and physics.

5. Aug 29, 2012 #4
    I'll be doing those same two classes, including calculus, and starting a new job. I'm not counting on having much free time! I was going to sign up for four classes, but I'll see how the first quarter of organic chemistry goes before I overload myself.

As for community college being easier than a four year university...in my experience, they are the same. This is just in my experience, however. I'm sure there are some CCs out there that are easier. The one I go to is essentially controlled by the large state school that the CC feeds into, so the academics are required to be very similar. The smaller class sizes at my CC certainly make it easier to get help from the professor, however.

6. Aug 30, 2012 #5
    I'm doing O-chem, physics, and diff eq...you arent alone in the suffering

7. Aug 31, 2012 #6
    I took O-chem, phys 2, diff eq and linear algebra in one quarter. I didn't find it that bad.

Organic chemistry really has an inflated reputation. It is very conceptual - it has memorization, so does every class, but it is also very intuitive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook