Taking third-year physics courses during senior year

In summary: I definitely don't want to delay my degree too long if I can avoid it.In summary, the person is considering doing an extra semester of undergraduate courses after they graduate, but is unsure how that would look on an application. They think they are ready for the GRE and think their research experience will be enough.
demoncore
Hi,

I'm an undergraduate double-major, Physics and English literature, going into my senior year. I chose/declared both of my majors during sophomore year, having entered school with a vague intention of majoring in linguistics (which soon dissipated). As such, I'm about a 'year behind' in terms of core physics courses--i.e., I'll be taking E&M I, Thermal I, Mechanics I, & Adv. Quantum I in the fall of my senior year, and will only be able to take the second-semester portion of two out of these four. Upper level courses I'd like to take--astrophysics, general relativity, intro to nuclear & particle physics--are pretty much out of the question.

I will be able to graduate with a B.S. in physics, provided I pass all of my courses, at the end of senior year, but I feel like I will still be very shallowly-prepared for a physics graduate program. I'm not sure when I would even apply, since I certainly won't be taking the GRE until I've completed the aforementioned third-year courses.

I'm thinking of doing an extra semester of undergraduate courses after I graduate, but I'm not sure how that would look on an application. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for someone in my situation, looking to be admitted into a physics graduate program.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your alternative? Skipping these courses? That sounds unwise.

I don't really see an alternative. I guess I was wondering whether postponing applying to graduate school for a year after I receive my undegrad degree would negatively impact my application.

Classical mechanics, E&M, quantum mechanics, and thermo / stat mech are the core curriculum that grad schools expect. Stuff like nuclear, particle, solid state, etc. are basically optional at undergraduate level. If you know what field you want to do in grad school, then it makes sense to try to work a course on it into your schedule. Otherwise I wouldn't stress out over it. Just do as well as you can in the core stuff.

Have you looked at the sample exam on the GRE web site? That will give you an idea of the level of knowledge you need for it.

Do you have or will you get any research experience?

I just looked at the sample exam--it doesn't look too terrible. I think I should be ready for it by next spring (though I'm not sure where I'll pick up optics. E&M maybe?).

I will hopefully do some research this summer, but won't get another chance until spring of my senior year, which is why I might not want to begin applying to schools until after I graduate.

What are the benefits of taking third-year physics courses during senior year?

Taking third-year physics courses during senior year can have many benefits. It allows you to gain a deeper understanding of the subject and potentially explore more advanced topics. It also shows colleges and universities that you are challenging yourself and have a strong interest in science, which can make you a more competitive applicant.

Will taking third-year physics courses during senior year be too difficult?

It depends on your individual abilities and work ethic. Third-year physics courses are typically more challenging than introductory courses, but if you have a strong foundation in math and physics, you may be well-equipped for the coursework. It's important to consult with your teacher or academic advisor to determine if you are ready for the challenge.

Do third-year physics courses count towards college credit?

Yes, most colleges and universities will accept third-year physics courses for college credit, especially if you have earned a passing grade. This can allow you to potentially graduate early or have more flexibility in your course schedule during college.

How can taking third-year physics courses during senior year benefit my future career?

If you are interested in pursuing a career in a science-related field, taking third-year physics courses can provide you with a strong foundation and advanced knowledge that will be beneficial in your future studies and career. It can also demonstrate to potential employers that you have a strong work ethic and are dedicated to your field of study.

Are there any prerequisites for taking third-year physics courses during senior year?

It depends on the specific course and school. Some third-year physics courses may require completion of certain math or science courses, while others may have no prerequisites. It's important to check with your school or teacher to determine if you meet the requirements for the course.