Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tan^2x =sec^2x-1 also: tan= sec -1 or am I missing something?

1. Feb 17, 2015 #1
    A particular problem with factoring has both of these, one in the denominator and one in the numerator, if it were algebra it would look like: x^2-1/x-1. The trouble is I've forgotten how to simplify this. I'm on taptalk.)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2015 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Can you please make more sense of this. What is your problem exactly? And no, [itex]\tan{x}\neq \sec{x}-1[/itex]

4. Feb 17, 2015 #3
    That just looks like gibberish on taptalk. Essentially it is Sec^2x-1/Secx-1 once a bit of factoring is done.

5. Feb 17, 2015 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

So you want to simplify this expression by factoring or any other means? Ok well, if we take a look at

[tex]x^2-\frac{1}{x}-1[/tex]

and then factor out 1/x giving us

[tex]\frac{1}{x}\left(x^3-x-1\right)[/tex]

The cubic has no rational factors, so that is the best we can do. We're not completely at a loss with simplifying though.

You know that

[tex]\tan^2{x}=\sec^2{x}-1[/tex]

so then use this to simplify your expression.

6. Feb 17, 2015 #5
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424221100.710027.jpg
    This is my problem.

7. Feb 17, 2015 #6
    I solved my problem... I was not removing the square when factoring. Always seems to be that kind of mistake that gets me.

8. Feb 17, 2015 #7

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Please use parentheses in future.

x^2-1/x-1
    is read as
    [tex]x^2-\frac{1}{x}-1[/tex]

while
    (x^2-1)/(x-1)
    [tex]=\frac{x^2-1}{x-1}[/tex]

9. Feb 19, 2015 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]\frac{x^2- 1}{x- 1}= \frac{(x- 1)(x+ 1)}{x- 1}= x+ 1[/tex] as long as x is not equal to 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook