Tangent Line on a Parametric Curve

In summary, a curve defined parametrically by x=sin3t, y=cos3t, 0≤ t ≤ 2pi needs to have its tangent line equation found at the point defined by t=2pi/9. To find the equation, the derivative is needed, which is -3sint/cos3t. When t=2pi/9, the gradient is -√3.
suchgreatheig

Homework Statement

A curve is defined parametrically by x=sin3t, y=cos3t, 0≤ t ≤ 2pi. Find the equation of the line tangent to the curve at the point defined by t=2pi/9.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

?

Physics news on Phys.org
suchgreatheig said:

The Attempt at a Solution

?

Since you need to find the equation of a tangent, what do you need to find this equation?

I know that I need a derivative which I got as -3sinst/3cos3t, but I'm stuck from there.

suchgreatheig said:
I know that I need a derivative which I got as -3sinst/3cos3t, but I'm stuck from there.

so if dy/dx=-sin(3t)/cos(3t), what is the gradient when t=2π/9 ?

1. What is a tangent line on a parametric curve?

A tangent line on a parametric curve is a line that touches the curve at a specific point and has the same slope as the curve at that point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

2. How is the tangent line on a parametric curve calculated?

The tangent line on a parametric curve can be calculated by finding the derivative of the parametric equations and then plugging in the specific point of interest to find the slope. The equation of the tangent line can then be written in point-slope form, using the slope and the point of interest.

3. What is the importance of the tangent line on a parametric curve?

The tangent line on a parametric curve is important because it provides valuable information about the behavior of the curve at a specific point. It can be used to find the direction of the curve and to approximate the shape of the curve near that point.

4. Can a parametric curve have more than one tangent line at a point?

Yes, a parametric curve can have multiple tangent lines at a point if the curve has a sharp point or a cusp. This means that the curve has a sudden change in direction, causing the slope to be undefined or have multiple values at that point.

5. How is the tangent line on a parametric curve used in real-world applications?

The tangent line on a parametric curve has various real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to analyze the motion of objects, approximate the shape of curves in design and animation, and calculate rates of change in various systems and processes.