1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent line, to a surface, through a point, parallel to a plane

1. Feb 20, 2014 #1
    Hey y'all, this is my first post. I am currently stuck on a multivariable question. Please let me know if you can help.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The point, P = (1, 2, 2) lies on the surface z = x^2 + y^2 -3x. Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the surface through the point P parallel to the plane x = 1.

2. Relevant equations
    Gradient vector ∇F(x,y) = < dF/dx, dF/dy>
    Normal vector n = < dF/dx, dF/dy, -1>

General form of tangent vector:
    dF/dx(x-x0) + dF/dy(y-y0) + dF/dz(z-z0)

3. The attempt at a solution
    ∇F(x,y) = < 2x -3, 2y >
    n = < 2x-3, 2y, -1>
    n(1, 2, 2) = < -1, 4, -1>

-1(x-1) + 4(y-2) -1(z-2) = 0
    -x + 1 +4y - 8 -z + 2 = 0
    -x + 4y -z = 5

This is where I am stuck.

In order to be parallel to the plane x=1, should the parametric equations be
    x = 1, y = 2 + 4t, z = 2 - t
    or would it still be the tangent equation
    x = 1 - t, y = 2 + 4t, z = 2-t?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is not a tangent vector (or any vector at all). You cannot simply get an equation for "the" tangent vector to a surface at a point because there exist an infinite number of tangent vectors at a given point. I think what you mean is that the tangent plane satisfies the equation [itex](\partial F/\partial)(x- x_0)+ (\partial F/\partial y)(y- y_0)+ (\partial F/\partial z)(z- z_0)= 0[/itex]. For this exercise that is -(x- 1)+ 4(y- 2)- (z- 2)= 0 or x- 4y- z= 5. You want a line in that plane and in the plane x=1. That is, the line of intersection of the two planes.

Where did you get these equations from? The first set, x= 1, y= 2+4t, z= 2- t does not satisfy -x+ 4y- z=5: -1+4(2+ 4t)- (2- t)= -1+ 8+ 16t- 2+ t= 5+ 17t, not 5 so does not lie in the tangent plane. The second does not have x always equal to 1 so does not lie in the plane x= 1 nor is it parallel to it.

Since x= 1 at the given point, the plane x=1 is through the given point and "parallel to the plane x= 1" means "lies in the plane x= 1" so the x coordinate is the constant, 1. Since you have correctly determined that the tangent plane is given by -x+ 4y- z= 5, the intersection of the two planes gives -1+ 4y- z= 5 or z= 4y- 6. Taking y itself as parameter, the line of intersection is x= 1, y= t, z= 4t- 6.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted