Tangent planes passing through coordinates origin.

In summary, Differential Geometry proves that for the surface f-1(0), all tangent planes pass through the origin.
Alteran
The problem from Differential Geometry:

Let [tex]\gamma : R -> R[/tex] is smooth function and [tex]U = {(x,y,z) \in R^3 : x \ne 0}[/tex] - open subset.
Function [tex]f : U -> R[/tex] is defined as [tex]f(x,y,z) = z - x\gamma(y/x)[/tex] and this is smooth function.
Proof that for surface[tex]S = f^{-1}(0)[/tex] all tangent planes passing through coordinates origin.

Can anyone give me a hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean to say:

"Prove that for the surface f-1(0), all tangent planes pass through the origin"

What have you tried so far? What definitions are you working with? I defined a set V = {(x,y) in R² : x not equal to 0}. Then I found a smooth regular surface patch [itex]\sigma : V \to \mathbb{R}^3[/itex] such that [itex]\sigma (V) = f^{-1}(0)[/itex]. Writing it this way, I found it easy to find the tangent planes to the surface, and then easily showed that each of those tangent planes pass through the origin.

Yes, exactly - "Prove that for the surface f-1(0), all tangent planes pass through the origin".

I have found tangent planes for this surface, but how to show that they are passing through the origin? I need to show, that these planes are defined in (0,0,0)? or something else?

Last edited:
A plane is just a set of points. Show that for each tangent plane, (0,0,0) is in that plane, i.e. (0,0,0) is in that set of points. For example, the point (1,0,y(0)) [I'm writing y instead of gamma] is in the surface. The tangent plane at this point is the plane:

{a(1,0,y(0)) + b(0,1,y'(0)) + (1,0,y(0)) : a, b in R}

I need to show that the origin (0,0,0) is in this plane, i.e. that there exist real a and b such that:

a(1,0,y(0)) + b(0,1,y'(0)) + (1,0,y(0)) = (0,0,0)

But that's easy:

a=-1, b=0.

Is there any part of this you didn't understand?

Thanks for support. I think now I can catch what is going on. I was little bit confused :blushing:

1. What is a tangent plane passing through the coordinates origin?

A tangent plane is a plane that touches a curve or surface at a single point, without crossing or intersecting it. When passing through the coordinates origin, the tangent plane is perpendicular to both the x and y axes, creating a flat surface that just touches the origin point.

2. How is a tangent plane passing through the coordinates origin calculated?

To calculate a tangent plane passing through the coordinates origin, you will need to find the partial derivatives of the function at the origin point, and use these values to create the equation of the tangent plane. This equation will be in the form of z = ax + by, where a and b are the partial derivatives.

3. Why is the tangent plane passing through the coordinates origin important in mathematics?

The tangent plane passing through the coordinates origin is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. It can also be used to approximate the function at nearby points, which is useful in optimization and other applications.

4. Can a tangent plane passing through the coordinates origin exist for all functions?

No, not all functions have a well-defined tangent plane passing through the coordinates origin. For example, a function may have a sharp point or corner at the origin, in which case a tangent plane cannot be defined. Additionally, some functions may have multiple tangent planes passing through the origin.

5. How is the tangent plane passing through the coordinates origin related to the concept of a derivative?

A tangent plane passing through the coordinates origin is closely related to the concept of a derivative. The partial derivatives used to calculate the equation of the tangent plane are essentially the slopes of the function in the x and y directions, which are the same as the partial derivatives used in calculating the derivative at a single point. Additionally, the tangent plane can be seen as an extension of the derivative concept to a two-dimensional surface.