1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent To A Function - Limits

1. Jul 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The tangent to the function y=3x(x-3) at point P(2,-6) is the hypotenuse of a right triangle that forms with the coordinate axes. Find Area

3. The attempt at a solution
    First of all, i know that i A=BxH/2 so i need the opposite and adjacent sides of this triangle.

Okay so personally i graphed the function at first, and then drew the tangent at the point 2,-6. I then connected the line to the x and y axes. I did this because it says it forms a triangle with the coordinate axes.I read that the coordinate axis are respectively the x and y axis, so i thought that this made sense. Can some one reassure me about this?

Next i thought that i would need the slope of the tangent at that point because it would relate to the slope of hypotenuse of the triangle.

So i took the limit.

Lim (f(x+h)-f(x))/H
    H->0

where P(2,-6), so x=2

solving this limit i got

Lim 6x+h-9 = 6x-9
    H->0
    and when x=2
    the limit is = 3

therefore the slope of the tangent is 3. mt=3

so i'm curious, does this mean that the hypotenuse also = 3 because it says the the tangent at the point is the hypotenuse. Or would the hypotenuse side be the tangent line (6x-9)?

So yea this is my dilemma..

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The line through (2,-6) with slope 3 is the hypotenuse. Figure out its equation (it isn't y = 6x-9) and find where its x and y intercepts are to get the legs of the triangle.

4. Jul 17, 2012 #3
    okay say i have the point (2,-6) and mt=3

here is my diagram.
    http://s18.postimage.org/3r9iyue7d/New_Bitmap_Image.png [Broken]

y= mx+b
    -6=3(2)+b
    b=-12

So therefore the height or the y value of the triangle is 12. cause it is the y intercept

y=3x-12

to find x intercept, set y=0

3x = 12
    x= 4

So there for the base of the triangle is 4, and the height of the triangle is twelve.

so area=bxh/2=12x4/2=24units^2

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Jul 17, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. You have it correct.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook