1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent zeros with a calculator?

1. Feb 26, 2015 #1
    I'm tasked with findings he solutions to a particular tangent equation, and when I did it before with sine it was just a matter of plugging in the equation to the calculator, then getting all the zeros. Since it is tangent now and not sine, do I do something special? Is it no longer the x value anymore?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is too vague to answer. What is the equation?

Also, if this is a specific homework or textbook question, it should be posted in the Homework & Coursework section, not here in the technical math sections.

4. Feb 26, 2015 #3
    3tan^2x+4tanx-15, I do not want an answer but want to know as this is a standard quadratic what variable am I looking for when I punch in the zero program on my calculator. Or if I'm looking for the wrong thing entirely.

5. Feb 26, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This appears to be a case where you are trying to let your calculator do your thinking for you. :sorry:

If you are trying to solve the equation 3tan2 x + 4tan x - 15 = 0, then a substitution of u = tan x would seem appropriate first.

Once you find out for which values of u the equation is true, then you worry about finding the values of x. :smile:

6. Feb 26, 2015 #5
    It's a problem where it tells me to use the calculator. In fact it states it at the very beginning of the problem. I'm unfamiliar with the ti-89.

7. Feb 26, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In order to find the values of u = tan x for which the equation is true, yes, I agree that a calculator will be necessary. But my point was that you are trying to apply the calculator before you have finished analyzing the equation, to put it into a form amenable for finding a solution with the calculator.

There are sites online where you can download a manual for the TI-89 and which can probably show you how to use its various functions to solve your equation.

8. Feb 26, 2015 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I strongly agree. Think first, then use a calculator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook