Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent zeros with a calculator?

1. Feb 26, 2015 #1
    I'm tasked with findings he solutions to a particular tangent equation, and when I did it before with sine it was just a matter of plugging in the equation to the calculator, then getting all the zeros. Since it is tangent now and not sine, do I do something special? Is it no longer the x value anymore?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is too vague to answer. What is the equation?

Also, if this is a specific homework or textbook question, it should be posted in the Homework & Coursework section, not here in the technical math sections.

4. Feb 26, 2015 #3
    3tan^2x+4tanx-15, I do not want an answer but want to know as this is a standard quadratic what variable am I looking for when I punch in the zero program on my calculator. Or if I'm looking for the wrong thing entirely.

5. Feb 26, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This appears to be a case where you are trying to let your calculator do your thinking for you. :sorry:

If you are trying to solve the equation 3tan2 x + 4tan x - 15 = 0, then a substitution of u = tan x would seem appropriate first.

Once you find out for which values of u the equation is true, then you worry about finding the values of x. :smile:

6. Feb 26, 2015 #5
    It's a problem where it tells me to use the calculator. In fact it states it at the very beginning of the problem. I'm unfamiliar with the ti-89.

7. Feb 26, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In order to find the values of u = tan x for which the equation is true, yes, I agree that a calculator will be necessary. But my point was that you are trying to apply the calculator before you have finished analyzing the equation, to put it into a form amenable for finding a solution with the calculator.

There are sites online where you can download a manual for the TI-89 and which can probably show you how to use its various functions to solve your equation.

8. Feb 26, 2015 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I strongly agree. Think first, then use a calculator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook