1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangential and centripetal acceleration problem

1. Nov 1, 2009 #1
    A windmill starts from rest and rotates with a constant angular acceleration of 0.25 rad/s2. How many seconds after starting will the magnitude of the tangential acceleration of the tip of a blade equal the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration at the same point?

I dont exactly know where to start with this problem. Wouldnt I need the radius to solve for the tangential acceleration as well as the centripetal acceleration?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

It might work out without r. Give it a try! I suggest you begin with putting that condition into symbols:
    tangential acceleration = centripetal acceleration
    rα = v²/r (pardon the poor alpha character after the first r)
    Fill in the details and see if the r's cancel out!

4. Nov 1, 2009 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. You have to work it out to see why.

What is the tangential acceleration (convert angular acceleration to tangential acceleration - use r for the radius).

Now, write out the expression for centripetal acceleration of a mass located at the tip in terms of angular speed.

At what speed does the centripetal acceleration equal the tangential acceleration?

AM

5. Nov 2, 2009 #4
    I dont see how the r's can cancel out with ra = v^2/r

And how can I covert angular acceleration to tangential acceleration?

6. Nov 2, 2009 #5

Delphi51

Homework Helper

It was rα = v²/r where the 2nd character is an alpha, angular acceleration.
    No r's cancel at this point, but you are given that α = .25 and of course v = rω.
    Since it is constant angular acceleration, you can also get a value for ω as a function of time . . . just keep working on that equation with these details and see what happens.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook