1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangential and radial acceleration

1. Sep 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball swings in a vertical circle at the end of a rope 1.50 m long. When the ball is 37.5° past the lowest point on its way up, its total acceleration is (-22.5 i + 20.2 j) m/s2.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Determine the magnitude of its radial acceleration.

My attempt, but wrong answer.
    1. total acceleration = 30.237, by resolving (-22.5 i + 20.2 j) m/s2 into R
    2. build a geometry triangle, to calculate ar
    30.237sin 37.5 = ar
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I think the ans should about 27-29m/s2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You found the magnitude of the total acceleration, but what about its direction?

Hint: Try working with each component of the total acceleration. How much of each component is in the radial direction?

4. Sep 5, 2009 #3
    I think I understand now, there shouldn't have any tangential acceleration for this uniform circular motion. so the R is the ac.

Thank you Doc Al

more information about this question: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=308138

5. Sep 5, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This isn't uniform circular motion and the acceleration will have a tangential component. But no need to guess. Figure out the direction of the acceleration and how it compares with the direction of the rope.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook