Tangential and radial acceleration

In summary, the question asks to determine the magnitude of the radial acceleration of a ball swinging in a vertical circle at the end of a 1.50 m rope, given its total acceleration of (-22.5 i + 20.2 j) m/s2 at a 37.5° angle past the lowest point. The student initially calculated a total acceleration of 30.237 m/s2, but was unsure of its direction. They were then reminded to consider the components of the total acceleration and compare it to the direction of the rope in order to find the correct answer.
MechaMZ

Homework Statement

A ball swings in a vertical circle at the end of a rope 1.50 m long. When the ball is 37.5° past the lowest point on its way up, its total acceleration is (-22.5 i + 20.2 j) m/s2.

The Attempt at a Solution

Determine the magnitude of its radial acceleration.

My attempt, but wrong answer.
1. total acceleration = 30.237, by resolving (-22.5 i + 20.2 j) m/s2 into R
2. build a geometry triangle, to calculate ar
30.237sin 37.5 = ar

Homework Statement

I think the ans should about 27-29m/s2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You found the magnitude of the total acceleration, but what about its direction?

Hint: Try working with each component of the total acceleration. How much of each component is in the radial direction?

I think I understand now, there shouldn't have any tangential acceleration for this uniform circular motion. so the R is the ac.

Thank you Doc Al

more information about this question: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=308138

MechaMZ said:
I think I understand now, there shouldn't have any tangential acceleration for this uniform circular motion. so the R is the ac.
This isn't uniform circular motion and the acceleration will have a tangential component. But no need to guess. Figure out the direction of the acceleration and how it compares with the direction of the rope.

What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of an object's tangential velocity. It is a measure of how an object's speed changes as it moves along a curved path.

What is radial acceleration?

Radial acceleration is the component of an object's acceleration that is directed towards or away from the center of its circular path. It is also known as centripetal acceleration.

How are tangential and radial acceleration related?

Tangential and radial acceleration are related through the formula for total acceleration, which is the vector sum of both components. In a circular motion, the total acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle, and the tangential and radial accelerations are perpendicular to each other.

What is the difference between tangential and radial acceleration?

The main difference between tangential and radial acceleration is their direction. Tangential acceleration is directed tangentially to the object's path, while radial acceleration is directed towards or away from the center of the circular path. Additionally, tangential acceleration affects an object's speed, while radial acceleration affects its direction.

How do tangential and radial acceleration affect an object in circular motion?

Tangential acceleration causes a change in an object's speed, while radial acceleration causes a change in its direction. Both components are necessary for an object to maintain a circular path, as tangential acceleration keeps the object from moving in a straight line, and radial acceleration keeps it from flying off the circular path.