Tangential force applied on a disc

In summary: The rotational acceleration is also present, but it does not affect the translational motion of the center of mass.In summary, when a tangential force is instantaneously applied to a disc laying on a frictionless surface, it will experience both rotational and translational motion. The full applied force creates both rotational and translational acceleration, and the translational acceleration of the center of mass is given by Newton's 2nd law. The rotational acceleration does not affect the translational motion of the center of mass.
ebelviranli
Hi,

I need to find an answer for the following question:

What happens when you apply a tangential force instantenously to a disc laying on a frictionless surface? Does it rotate, translate or both?

Here is an illustration for a better explanation.
http://cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~belviran/circle.PNG

Please note that there is no axis or other forces applied to the disc. Also note that the disc is uniform and the center of mass is at the center of the disc.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think? Hint: Consider Newton's 2nd law for both translation and rotation.

No really, what's the answer to their question? I have been reading physics books for days trying to figure this out.

I know the answer is both, but I want to know why and by how much. If it wasn't both then physics books wouldn't make it a point to mention the Couple force.

All the math I find says that Torque is R x F, and since the cross product is "sin * mag(R) * mag(F)", and since sin(90) is 1, then all of this force is applied to the torque. But none of this force is in the direction of the center of mass, so how much of the force is translational.

And if you tell me that the disk only rotates then I am going to ask what if you apply the two forces: (0,1) (0,1) to the points (-r,0) (r,0) respectively (assuming the center is at (0,0))? I know the disk does not sit still because these two rotational forces cancel out. The disk would move in teh +Y direction, but what is the math to prove it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

vdogamr said:
All the math I find says that Torque is R x F, and since the cross product is "sin * mag(R) * mag(F)", and since sin(90) is 1, then all of this force is applied to the torque. But none of this force is in the direction of the center of mass, so how much of the force is translational.
All of it. The translational acceleration of the center of mass is given by Newton's 2nd law. You may be thinking that a given force is either 'rotational' or 'translational'. Not so. The full applied force creates both rotational and translational acceleration. While the torque about the center of mass depends on the point of application and direction of the force, the translational acceleration does not.

And if you tell me that the disk only rotates then I am going to ask what if you apply the two forces: (0,1) (0,1) to the points (-r,0) (r,0) respectively (assuming the center is at (0,0))? I know the disk does not sit still because these two rotational forces cancel out. The disk would move in teh +Y direction, but what is the math to prove it?
Just apply Newton's 2nd law to find the translational acceleration. The net force is (0,2), so the acceleration of the center of mass is in the +Y direction.

for your question!

When a tangential force is applied instantaneously to a disc on a frictionless surface, the disc will experience both rotation and translation. This is due to the principle of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system will remain constant unless acted upon by an external torque. In this case, the tangential force applied creates a torque on the disc, causing it to rotate around its center of mass. At the same time, the force also causes the disc to move in the direction of the force, resulting in translation.

The direction and magnitude of the rotation and translation will depend on the direction and magnitude of the tangential force applied. If the force is applied at the edge of the disc, the rotation will be faster and the translation will be in the same direction as the force. If the force is applied at a point closer to the center of mass, the rotation will be slower and the translation will be in a different direction.

It is important to note that the disc will continue to rotate and translate until acted upon by another force or torque. In a frictionless environment, these motions will continue indefinitely. However, in a real-world scenario where there is some friction present, the disc will eventually come to a stop due to the opposing force of friction.

In conclusion, when a tangential force is applied instantaneously to a disc on a frictionless surface, it will experience both rotation and translation due to the principle of conservation of angular momentum. The direction and magnitude of these motions will depend on the location and magnitude of the force applied.

What is tangential force?

Tangential force is a type of force that acts tangent to the surface of an object. In simpler terms, it is a force that is applied along the surface of an object, as opposed to perpendicular to it.

How is tangential force calculated?

The magnitude of tangential force can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the tangential force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force acting on the object.

What factors affect the amount of tangential force applied on a disc?

The amount of tangential force applied on a disc depends on the coefficient of friction between the disc and the surface it is in contact with, as well as the magnitude of the normal force and the angle of the applied force.

What is the difference between tangential force and normal force?

Tangential force acts parallel to the surface of an object, while normal force acts perpendicular to the surface. Tangential force is responsible for causing rotational motion, while normal force keeps the object in contact with the surface.

How does tangential force affect the motion of a disc?

Tangential force causes the disc to rotate, as it is applied along the surface of the disc. The direction and magnitude of the tangential force affect the speed and direction of the disc's rotation.