Tangential, Radial and total acceleration

• Thread starter Robert0606
  • Start date
Hello, I have a question which I'm having hard time solving,

Homework Statement

A ride at the amusement park consists of a large, vertical drum in which people stand with their backs to the wall. The drum begins to rotate and eventually the people stick to the wall due to the acceleration – even when the floor is lowered. If the ride starts spinning from rest and it takes 5.0 seconds for a person against the wall to attain a speed of 5.0m/s, and if the drum has a radius of 4.0m find the following:

1. What is the magnitude of the tangential acceleration experienced by a person at the wall?

2. What is the magnitude and direction of the radial acceleration for a person against the wall when s/he reaches a speed of 3.0m/s?

3. What is the magnitude and direction of the total acceleration of the person as s/he reaches 5.0m/s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I had several attempts but they were so useless that it would be irrelevant to even make mention of, I really have no other clue on how to solve this question. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hello, I have a question which I'm having hard time solving,

Homework Statement

A ride at the amusement park consists of a large, vertical drum in which people stand with their backs to the wall. The drum begins to rotate and eventually the people stick to the wall due to the acceleration – even when the floor is lowered. If the ride starts spinning from rest and it takes 5.0 seconds for a person against the wall to attain a speed of 5.0m/s, and if the drum has a radius of 4.0m find the following:

1. What is the magnitude of the tangential acceleration experienced by a person at the wall?

2. What is the magnitude and direction of the radial acceleration for a person against the wall when s/he reaches a speed of 3.0m/s?

3. What is the magnitude and direction of the total acceleration of the person as s/he reaches 5.0m/s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I had several attempts but they were so useless that it would be irrelevant to even make mention of, I really have no other clue on how to solve this question. Any help would be appreciated.
Your useless attempts may be relevant for assistance to see where you may be going wrong. Can you answer question 2 for starters?

Likes Chestermiller