1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangential, Radial and total acceleration

1. Apr 14, 2015 #1
    Hello, I have a question which I'm having hard time solving,
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ride at the amusement park consists of a large, vertical drum in which people stand with their backs to the wall. The drum begins to rotate and eventually the people stick to the wall due to the acceleration – even when the floor is lowered. If the ride starts spinning from rest and it takes 5.0 seconds for a person against the wall to attain a speed of 5.0m/s, and if the drum has a radius of 4.0m find the following:

1. What is the magnitude of the tangential acceleration experienced by a person at the wall?

2. What is the magnitude and direction of the radial acceleration for a person against the wall when s/he reaches a speed of 3.0m/s?

3. What is the magnitude and direction of the total acceleration of the person as s/he reaches 5.0m/s?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I had several attempts but they were so useless that it would be irrelevant to even make mention of, I really have no other clue on how to solve this question. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2015 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your useless attempts may be relevant for assistance to see where you may be going wrong. Can you answer question 2 for starters?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted