Tangential Speed of Passenger on 10m Radius Ferris Wheel

  • Thread starter Thread starter gigglin_horse
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
gigglin_horse
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I thought this would be an easy question for me, but I can't figure it out.
"What is the tangential speed of a passenger on a Ferris wheel that has a radius of 10 meters and rotates once every 30 seconds?"

Homework Equations



Tangential speed = rotational speed x radial distance


The Attempt at a Solution



Tangential speed = 2RMP x 10 meters
= 20...what units? Not m/sec, not RPM...
...But...
I figured the circumference is 62.83 meters x 2RPM = 125 meters per minute
 
Physics news on Phys.org
With the information that it's 2RPM, you can very easily find the angluar velocity, ω. I'd use that as a starting point to finding the tangential velocity.