1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tarzan swings on vine, will it snap?

1. May 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Tarzan has a mass of 105.4 kg and is swinging on a vine that has a maximum tension of 1700 N. Will the vine survive is Tarzan swings from an angle of 47.5 degrees from the vertical?

m=105.4 kg
    T=1700 N
    Angle of 47.5 degrees from vertical

2. Relevant equations
    I would like to have my answer checked because I am not very confident. What role does the angle have in the question?

3. The attempt at a solution
    1700 N/ 105.4 kg- 9.8 m/s^2=6.329032258

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi ewalker31438,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Your relevant equations section contains no relevant equations. What equations from your notes or textbook might be pertinent to the type of problem at hand?

Your attempt at solution does not appear to answer the posed question: will the vine survive? What is it you were trying to calculate? Can you explain what you had in mind with the calculation you've done?

4. May 5, 2017 #3
    I think that the vine would survive, to answer the question. I was trying to calculate the maximum tension that the vine would have. I have looked through my textbook and notes and have not found anything relevant to answer this question. Should I make a force diagram and use equations from that to solve the question? I am completely lost.

5. May 5, 2017 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

A diagram is always the best place to start. What type of motion is involved? Knowing that will help narrow down the sorts of equations to look for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted