How Does Momentum and Energy Conservation Apply to a Tarzan Swing Collision?

  • Thread starter Thread starter bieon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
46 replies · 7K views
bieon said:
Ah dang... :/
Try leaving it as ##h_1, h_2## for now. That's simpler. We can sort out these in terms of angles later.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
PeroK said:
Try leaving it as ##h_1, h_2## for now. That's simpler. We can sort out these in terms of angles later.

Like this?

Without Jane,
##Mg##(##h_1##)=½ ##Mv_1##2

With Jane,
##(M+m)g##(##h_2##)=½ ##(M+m)v_2##2
 
bieon said:
Like this?

Without Jane,
##Mg##(##h_1##)=½ ##Mv_1##2

With Jane,
##(M+m)g##(##h_2##)=½ ##(M+m)v_2##2
Yes. Now you need the equation for ##v_1## and ##v_2## you got from conservation of monentum.
 
PeroK said:
Yes. Now you need the equation for ##v_1## and ##v_2## you got from conservation of monentum.

PS note that the masses cancel in those equations, so that simplifies things a bit.
 
PeroK said:
PS note that the masses cancel in those equations, so that simllifies things a bit.
Ok, so I put them in terms of velocity now right?
M##g##(##h_1##)=½ M##v_1##2
2##g####h_1##= ##v_1##2

With Jane,
(M+m)##g##(##h_2##)=½ (M+m)##v_2##2
2##g####h_2##= ##v_2##2
 
bieon said:
Ok, so I put them in terms of velocity now right?
M##g##(##h_1##)=½ M##v_1##2
2##g####h_1##= ##v_1##2

With Jane,
(M+m)##g##(##h_2##)=½ (M+m)##v_2##2
2##g####h_2##= ##v_2##2
That's good. Now use the relationship between ##v_1## and ##v_2## that you got many posts ago.
 
PeroK said:
That's good. Now use the relationship between ##v_1## and ##v_2## that you got many posts ago.
(##M##+##m##)##√2####gh_2##=##M√2####gh_1##
This?
 
bieon said:
so... V2=[m1/(m1+m2)]v1

(Sorry, I don't know how to use fraction here...)

This!
 
PeroK said:
This!
Like this?
##√2####gh_2## =[M/(M+m)] ##√2####gh_1##
 
bieon said:
(##M##+##m##)##√2####gh_2##=##M√2####gh_1##
This?
It looks like you've done it. Can you finish it off by expressing height in terms of angle.
 
PeroK said:
It looks like you've done it. Can you finish it off by expressing height in terms of angle.
I believe I can! Thank you so much! I am sorry for the trouble!
 
PeroK said:
It looks like you've done it. Can you finish it off by expressing height in terms of angle.
Uhm I think I had trouble, I know the general concept of l-lcos but I am not sure where it came from...
 
bieon said:
Uhm I think I had trouble, I know the general concept of l-lcos but I am not sure where it came from...

It's just trigonometry.
 
PeroK said:
It's just trigonometry.
but why is it L - L cos θ ?
Sorry, I just want to understand more
 
In summary: $${\left(\frac{m}{m+50}\right)}^2=\frac{h_2}{h_1}$$. We do however perhaps need to question a little the physics of this situation since momentum is conserved in the absence of an external force. If the transfer of momentum in the collision is not instantaneous but rather over a finite time instant Δt , g could act if for a very brief instant. Collision energy in a perfectly inelastic collision is considered lost - here it's possible that some collision energy is not dissipated but rather absorbed by being converted to PE. Jane benefits because Tarzan does not make an instant impact!