Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tattoos and Physics?

1. May 19, 2017 #1
    I couldn't find an appropriate area for this so I figured general was my best bet. My question, to be more specific than my header, is will visible tattoos affect me if I choose to pursue some type of research job in physics? I love tattoos and Physics but I don't want to ruin my chances of my dream job because I wanted some ink. I wouldn't tattoo my face. Probably, at most, my neck and down. I just wanted experienced opinions because I've formulated my own but it's not an experienced one or educated one. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

My bet is, it will lower your chances although I doubt that anyone will ever admit this.
    In former times tattoos had been the equivalent to either a seaman or a jailbird. Since approximately two decades tattoos have become a fashion. However, the first ones who established this trend weren't the brightest stars in the sky, so this entire history will probably play a role in people's mind and judgement - told or not.

4. Jun 18, 2017 #3
    I don't think that tattoos are not professional. If employers have their own prejudies it doesn't mean that a person with tats will work worse than the one without them.

I was also thinking of getting something like this one below, but I was applying for a job that time and expected the employer to reject my candidature. Noe I'm still thinking of getting it. What do you think?
    https://tattoozza.com/3d-tattoos
    13731164405.jpg

5. Jun 18, 2017 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's highly unlikely that the presence of tattoos will play any role in your getting hired in academia with a couple of possible exceptions. Tattoos are pretty popular these days and I don't think anyone wants to miss out on the right candidate because of something so superficial. And at the end of the day, the decisive factors for research positions tend to come down to the skill set that you bring to the table, evidence of past success, and how well you would fit in with the established team and the direction the group wants to go in. Even if there was some kind of effect statistically, it would be so far down the list that it wouldn't be worth worrying about.

The exceptions would be if the tattoo is overly offensive or derogatory in nature. Hiring committees would likely think twice about hiring someone with racist tattoos for example. In other cases the line between what's offensive or not can be somewhat subjective.

6. Jun 21, 2017 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2419.jpg

7. Jun 22, 2017 #6

kith

Science Advisor

8. Jun 22, 2017 #7

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep.

9. Jun 23, 2017 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This was my first reaction too!

10. Jun 23, 2017 #9

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To stay on topic, I would agree that it probably will not affect you much as long as it is not racist or offensive. In comparison to other professions, I believe academics in general are more tolerant to "odd" quirks and personal expression.

11. Jun 23, 2017 #10

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You gotta deal with things as they are; of course a person with tattoo can be professional , but what matters is not whether this is true, but what your potential employer believes/wants. Or maybe you want to live on your terms and get a tattoo, but there is a price to pay for this choice. I would think business types would be less tolerant than academic types about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted