Taylor expansion fine structure

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a simpler way to expand the expression of energy levels for Dirac's equation with a coulombian potential. The suggested approach involves expanding the square root and retaining the second order term to get a more accurate result. There is a disagreement in the fourth order term, but it is resolved by retaining the second order term of the (αZ/n)^2 factor. Overall, the conversation provides a method to obtain the correct terms in the Taylor series expansion.
darkshadow28
I have to do a Taylor expansion of the energy levels of Dirac's equation with a coulombian potential in orders of (αZ/n)^2 , but the derivatives I get are just too large, I guess there is another approach maybe?
This is the expression of the energy levels
upload_2017-10-13_19-28-6.png

And i know it has to end like this:
upload_2017-10-13_19-28-57.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You only need two derivatives. The second one will be ugly but you evaluate it at ##\alpha Z=0##, which means you can skip many terms as soon as you know that appears as factor.

Likes darkshadow28
A simpler way is to first expand ## \sqrt{(j+1/2)^2-(\alpha Z)^2} ## as a Taylor series. It greatly simplifies the denominator. Upon squaring the term in brackets ##[ \, ] ##, I get ## n^2(1-\frac{(\alpha Z)^2}{n(j+1/2)} +...) ##. This makes ##1/ [1+(\frac{\alpha Z}{n})^2(1-\frac{(\alpha Z)^2}{n(j+1/2)} )]^{1/2}-1 ##. With this very last Taylor expansion with a ## f(x)=\sqrt{1+x} ##, it is important to also keep the second order term of the ## (\frac{\alpha Z}{n})^2 ## factor. I almost got complete agreement with the result you posted, but I got a 1/4 instead of 3/4 in the fourth order term. ## \\ ## Editing: One additional item, and I think I got their result: In taking the final result in the form ## f(x)=\frac{1}{1+x}=1-x+x^2-x^3+ ... ##, it is important to retain the ## x^2 ## term of the ## \frac{1}{2} (\frac{ \alpha Z}{n})^2 ## term. (Originally, I tried to use ## \frac{1}{1+x} \approx 1-x ##. That did not supply sufficient accuracy.) This will then give the result you provided with the 3/4.

Last edited:
Likes darkshadow28 and mfb
Charles Link said:
A simpler way is to first expand ## \sqrt{(j+1/2)^2-(\alpha Z)^2} ## as a Taylor series. It greatly simplifies the denominator. Upon squaring the term in brackets ##[ \, ] ##, I get ## n^2(1-\frac{(\alpha Z)^2}{n(j+1/2)} +...) ##. This makes ##1/ [1+(\frac{\alpha Z}{n})^2(1-\frac{(\alpha Z)^2}{n(j+1/2)} )]^{1/2}-1 ##. With this very last Taylor expansion with a ## f(x)=\sqrt{1+x} ##, it is important to also keep the second order term of the ## (\frac{\alpha Z}{n})^2 ## factor. I almost got complete agreement with the result you posted, but I got a 1/4 instead of 3/4 in the fourth order term. ## \\ ## Editing: One additional item, and I think I got their result: In taking the final result in the form ## f(x)=\frac{1}{1+x}=1-x+x^2-x^3+ ... ##, it is important to retain the ## x^2 ## term of the ## \frac{1}{2} (\frac{ \alpha Z}{n})^2 ## term. This will then give the result you provided with the 3/4.
Thanks, if I try doing from ## n^2(1-\frac{(\alpha Z)^2}{n(j+1/2)} +...) ## i get the correct terms, but I'm getting an extra n(j+1/2) in the Taylor series of the square root.

In your first Taylor series, you need to write ## (j+1/2) \sqrt{1-(\frac{\alpha Z}{j+1/2})^2}=(j+1/2)(1-\frac{1}{2} \frac{(\alpha Z)^2}{(j+1/2)^2}+...) ##. The ## j+1/2 ## out front gets canceled by the ## -(j+1/2) ## in the denominator. And next, factor out an ## n^2 ## before you square the result.

Likes darkshadow28

1. What is the Taylor expansion fine structure?

The Taylor expansion fine structure is a method used in mathematics to approximate a function by using a series of polynomial terms. It is also known as the Taylor series expansion or Taylor polynomial.

2. How is the Taylor expansion fine structure used in science?

In science, the Taylor expansion fine structure is commonly used to approximate the behavior of complex systems. It can be applied in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and understand the relationships between variables.

3. What is the importance of the Taylor expansion fine structure in scientific research?

The Taylor expansion fine structure allows scientists to make accurate predictions and analyze the behavior of systems that may be too complex to model directly. It also provides a way to simplify complex equations and make them more manageable for analysis.

4. Can the Taylor expansion fine structure be used for any type of function?

Yes, the Taylor expansion fine structure can be used for any function that is continuous and has derivatives of all orders. However, the accuracy of the approximation may vary depending on the function and the number of terms used in the series.

5. How is the Taylor expansion fine structure different from other approximation methods?

The Taylor expansion fine structure is different from other approximation methods in that it uses a series of polynomial terms to approximate a function, while other methods may use simpler functions or algorithms. The Taylor expansion also provides a way to calculate the error in the approximation, making it a useful tool for analyzing the accuracy of the model.