1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor expansion of the relativistic Doppler effect?

1. Aug 24, 2016 #1
    [Note from mentor: this thread was originally posted in a non-homework forum, therefore it does not use the homework template.]

I have been given an equation for the relativistic doppler effect but I'm struggling to see this as a function and then give a first order Taylor expansion. Any help at all would be appreciated as I'm completely stuck.

fo/fs = √(1 + vrel/c) / √(1-vrel/c)

Where vrel is the relative speed of the source and the observer with respect to each other, c the speed of light, and vrel > 0 is here presumed to mean that the source and
    the observer move towards each other. Consider the relativistic Doppler effect in the case of (vrel/c) ≪ 1, but (vrel/c) > 0. Write a first-order Taylor expansion for the relativistic Doppler effect, and show that the result is equivalent to either of the two expressions found for sound.

The expressions for sound are:

i) The source moves with speed vs towards stationary observer

fo/fs = 1 / (1-(vs/v))

ii) The observer moves with speed vo towards the stationary source

fo/fs = 1 + (vo/v)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2016 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This should probably be in the Homework section, right? But just to put this into a more obvious form, let [itex]x = v_{rel}/c[/itex]. Then you want to expand the function

[itex]F(x) = \frac{\sqrt{1+x}}{\sqrt{1-x}}[/itex]

in powers of [itex]x[/itex]. Do you know how to do that?

4. Aug 24, 2016 #3
    Sorry this is my first question. Because it's university work I thought it would go here.

I started by doing that but I got confused with not having what would be a in a normal Taylor expansion question.

5. Aug 24, 2016 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you mean by a "normal Taylor expansion question". The [itex]F(x)[/itex] that I gave is an ordinary function with an ordinary Taylor expansion.

6. Aug 24, 2016 #5
    Okay I think my Taylor expansion needs some work. But getting confirmation that it's in this form helps. Thanks

7. Aug 25, 2016 #6
    I still have a problem with this. In a Taylor expansion I have a value to expand about. I am not given a value for this. And the question does not ask for a Maclaurin series.

8. Aug 25, 2016 #7

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You're expanding [itex]F(x) = \frac{\sqrt{1+x}}{\sqrt{1-x}}[/itex] about [itex]x=0[/itex]. Do you know how to do that?

9. Aug 25, 2016 #8
    Is this a Maclaurin series?

I'm not sure because I don't know if I should use binomial expansion or differentiate withTaylor.

10. Aug 25, 2016 #9

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, they amount to the same thing. You can use the binomial expansion for a fractional exponent:

[itex](1+x)^\alpha = 1 + \alpha x + \frac{\alpha (\alpha -1)}{1 \cdot 2} x^2 + \frac{\alpha (\alpha -1)(\alpha - 2)}{1 \cdot 2\cdot 3} x^3 + ...[/itex]

If [itex]\alpha[/itex] is fractional, then the series never terminates, but that doesn't matter.

But that's the same series you would get if you took derivatives:

Letting [itex]G(x) = (1+x)^\alpha[/itex],

[itex]G'(x) = \alpha (1+x)^{\alpha - 1}[/itex]
    [itex]G''(x) = \alpha (\alpha - 1) (1+x)^{\alpha - 2}[/itex]
    [itex]G'''(x) = \alpha(\alpha - 1)(\alpha - 2) (1+x)^{\alpha - 3}[/itex]

So you can write: [itex]G(x) = G(0) + x G'(0) + \frac{x^2}{1 \cdot 2} G''(0) + \frac{x^3}{1 \cdot 2 \cdot 3} G'''(0) + ...[/itex]

You get the same series.

For this problem, if you're going to use binomial expansions, you have to compute the case [itex]\alpha = +\frac{1}{2}[/itex] for [itex]\sqrt{1+x}[/itex] and compute the case [itex]\alpha = -\frac{1}{2}[/itex] for [itex]\sqrt{1-x}[/itex] (using [itex]-x[/itex]) and then you have to multiply the two series, and group the terms by powers of [itex]x[/itex].

11. Aug 25, 2016 #10
    Thank you, this is clear now and has helped a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted