1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor/Polynomial Approximation Question

1. Nov 11, 2013 #1
    If I have a polynomial function f(x) and I want to find an approximate polynomial g(x). I can apply the Nth order Taylor Polynomial of f centered at some value a.

So suppose I have f(x) = 5 - 6x + 20x^3 + 10x^5

and I want to find an approximate function, g(x), centered at 5.

From what I gather, this means that after I create the Taylor Polynomial of 5 degrees, when I plug in 5 to both f(x) and g(x), they will be equal values. That is, f(5) = g(5).

However, does this also mean that f(x) = g(x) for all values of x (not just the centered value) if one polynomial is approximated (Taylor polynomial) from another polynomial? (as opposed to a polynomial being approximated from a non-polynomial)?

Note: I'm not considering infinite series in this question, only nth term Taylor polynomials.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your "approximation" polynomial g(x) will agree exactly with f(x) for all values. All you're really doing is changing from a polynomial that is a sum of powers of x (f) to one that is a sum of powers of x - 5.

4. Nov 11, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If your expansion around x=5 is degree 5, like the original polynomial, the 'approximate' polynomial will be exact everywhere. It will be the same as the original polynomial if you expand it out, because the terms in the Taylor expansion vanish after degree 5. If it's less than degree 5 then it will only be a good approximation near x=5.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted