1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Justification for upper bound in Taylor polynomial

1. Aug 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've been reviewing some Taylor polynomial material, and looking over the results and examples here.
    https://math.dartmouth.edu/archive/m8w10/public_html/m8l02.pdf

I'm referring to Example 3 on the page 12 (page numbering at top-left of each page). The question is asking about an upper bound on the error.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was able to get the result in the PDF, but in the discussion of the example, the authors mention that there is a logical issue with using an exact value of e^(0.2) while we're approximating f(x) = e^x . As an alternate bound the authors propose using f(5)(c) < 2 .

Can anyone tell me where the justification for this value of 2 comes from? Why is this a proposed value for an upper bound?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

To be honest? I can't see it either. One could take ##0.2 < \frac{1}{2}## and ##f^{(5)}(c) \leq e^{0.2} < e^{0.5} < \sqrt{3} < 2## or something like
    $$ f^{(5)}(c) = 1 + c + \frac{c^2}{2!}+ \frac{c^3}{3!} + \ldots < 1+\frac{1}{5}+\left( \frac{1}{5}\right)^2+ \left( \frac{1}{5}\right)^3+\ldots < 1+\frac{1}{2}+\left( \frac{1}{2}\right)^2 +\ldots = 2$$ but this is a lot of guesswork. Did they eventually had an upper bound in the previous section, or perhaps the ##K## in Rolle?

Another possibility is to use the fact (if given), that the exponential function is convex. In this case we have
    $$
    f^{(5)}(c) < \frac{e^0+e^1}{2} < \frac{1}{2} + \frac{3}{2} = 2
    $$

4. Aug 6, 2017 #3
    Thanks for replying. I will look at the Rolle's theorem possibility.

5. Aug 6, 2017 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For ##x > 0## we have ##e^{-x} > 1-x##, so ##e^x < 1/(1-x)##, giving ##e^{0.2} < 1/(1 - 0.2) = 1.25 < 2##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted