Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Taylor Polynomial (can you help me?)

1. Mar 22, 2007 #1
    1) Let f(x) = (x^3) [cos(x^2)].
    a) Find P_(4n+3) (x) (the 4n + 3-rd Taylor polynomial of f(x) )
    b) Find f^(n) (0) for all natural numbers n. (the n-th derivative of f evaluated at 0)

I know the definition of Taylor polynomial but I am still unable to do this quesiton. I tried to find the first few terms but I can't see an obvious pattern. I have no problem using the definition to find the first few terms...but this is a weird question. Can someone nicely give me some hints on both parts?

Any help is greatly apprecaited!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know a formula for the Taylor expansion of cos(x) around x=0? What does this imply for cos(x^2)?

4. Mar 22, 2007 #3
    Yes, I know that formula, I guess I can replace x by x^2 and get a formula for cos(x^2) too...

5. Mar 22, 2007 #4
    I also have another terrible quesiton...I am dying from it...

2) Find the 2006-th derivative evaluated at 0 and the 2007-th derivative evluated at 0 for f(x)=tan^(-1) x (inverse tan)

Any hints?

6. Mar 22, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not very clear on what you mean f(x) to be.

7. Mar 22, 2007 #6
    Find the first couple of derivates. Do you see a pattern? Can you determine a formula for the nth derivative of arctan from it? Can you prove your formula works for all n?

8. Mar 22, 2007 #7
    There isn't an obvious pattern...what can I do?

9. Mar 22, 2007 #8
    Look up the generalized leibniz product rule.

10. Mar 22, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could also simply look up the series expansion of arctan.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook