1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor Polynomial (can you help me?)

1. Mar 22, 2007 #1
    1) Let f(x) = (x^3) [cos(x^2)].
    a) Find P_(4n+3) (x) (the 4n + 3-rd Taylor polynomial of f(x) )
    b) Find f^(n) (0) for all natural numbers n. (the n-th derivative of f evaluated at 0)

I know the definition of Taylor polynomial but I am still unable to do this quesiton. I tried to find the first few terms but I can't see an obvious pattern. I have no problem using the definition to find the first few terms...but this is a weird question. Can someone nicely give me some hints on both parts?

Any help is greatly apprecaited!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know a formula for the Taylor expansion of cos(x) around x=0? What does this imply for cos(x^2)?

4. Mar 22, 2007 #3
    Yes, I know that formula, I guess I can replace x by x^2 and get a formula for cos(x^2) too...

5. Mar 22, 2007 #4
    I also have another terrible quesiton...I am dying from it...

2) Find the 2006-th derivative evaluated at 0 and the 2007-th derivative evluated at 0 for f(x)=tan^(-1) x (inverse tan)

Any hints?

6. Mar 22, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not very clear on what you mean f(x) to be.

7. Mar 22, 2007 #6
    Find the first couple of derivates. Do you see a pattern? Can you determine a formula for the nth derivative of arctan from it? Can you prove your formula works for all n?

8. Mar 22, 2007 #7
    There isn't an obvious pattern...what can I do?

9. Mar 22, 2007 #8
    Look up the generalized leibniz product rule.

10. Mar 22, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could also simply look up the series expansion of arctan.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?