Taylor polynomial of 1/(2+x-2y)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Taylor polynomial of degree 3 for the function \frac{1}{2+x-2y} near (2,1). One person suggests using the Maclaurin expansion of g(u) = \frac{1}{2+u} and substituting back to the original variables. The other person confirms that this approach should work, and the resulting polynomial matches the solution obtained by evaluating partial derivatives.
Combinatus

Homework Statement

Find the Taylor polynomial of degree 3 of [tex]\frac{1}{2+x-2y}[/tex] near (2,1).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already solved this problem by evaluating the R^2 Taylor series; I'm mostly curious about another aspect of the problem.

By substituting u = x-2y, it would seem that we can use the Maclaurin expansion of [tex]g(u) = \frac{1}{2+u}[/tex], and then substitute back to the original variables (since f(x,y) ~= g(u) when (x,y) ~= (2,1)) to get the relevant Taylor series for f(x,y).

I seem to be getting the wrong answer with this approach, but I'm curious why this is the case. Does this approach work under certain conditions for multivariable functions, or should it work in general if a relevant substitution can be made, indicating that I've made an arithmetical error somewhere?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get for your Maclaurin expansion for 1/(2 + u)? I think your approach might work, but I'm not sure of it. Keep in mind that you want to work with (1/2) *1/(1 + u/2).

It should work fine if you are doing it correctly.

Mark44 said:
What did you get for your Maclaurin expansion for 1/(2 + u)?
[tex]P_3(u) = \frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{4}u + \frac{1}{8}u^2 - \frac{1}{16}u^3[/tex]

So, substituting u = x - 2y, we get

[tex]P_3(x-2y) = \frac{1}{2} - \frac{x-2y}{4} + \frac{(x-2y)^2}{8} - \frac{(x-2y)^3}{16}[/tex]...oh, nice, it does work out. I must have misplaced a sign somewhere when verifying the solution. The key to the problem states the third-degree Taylor polynomial of the initial function simply as

(1/2) - (1/4)*(x-2) + (1/2)*(y-1) + (1/8)*(x-2)^2 - (1/2)*(x-2)(y-1) + (1/2)*(y-1)^2 - (1/16)*(x-2)^3 + (3/8)*((x-2)^2)*(y-1) - (3/4)*(x-2)((y-1)^2) + (1/2)*((y-1)^3)), which equals what I obtained with the lengthy approach of evaluating the relevant partial derivatives. Wolframalpha seems to verify that the two polynomials are equal.

I'm not very comfortable with approaches that happen to work out that I don't really understand though.

Last edited:
The taylor series is an expansion of the function in powers of x and y. So is the expansion by series you did. It's not an accident they are equal. They are both doing the same thing. It's often easier to do it by series (if you can) than computing all of the high order derivatives.

What is the Taylor polynomial of 1/(2+x-2y)?

The Taylor polynomial of 1/(2+x-2y) is a mathematical expression that approximates the given function using a polynomial of a specific degree. It is used to estimate the value of the function at a certain point, based on its derivatives at that point.

How is the Taylor polynomial of 1/(2+x-2y) calculated?

The Taylor polynomial of 1/(2+x-2y) is calculated using the Taylor series, which is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, each term involving the function's derivatives evaluated at a specific point. The polynomial is then obtained by truncating the series at a certain degree.

What is the significance of the Taylor polynomial of 1/(2+x-2y)?

The Taylor polynomial of 1/(2+x-2y) is significant because it allows us to approximate the value of the function at a specific point with a finite number of terms, making it easier to calculate and understand. It also helps us to understand the behavior of the function near that point.

What is the degree of the Taylor polynomial of 1/(2+x-2y)?

The degree of the Taylor polynomial of 1/(2+x-2y) is determined by the number of terms used in the polynomial. It is usually chosen to be the smallest degree that provides an accurate approximation of the function at the given point.

How does the accuracy of the Taylor polynomial of 1/(2+x-2y) change with increasing degree?

The accuracy of the Taylor polynomial of 1/(2+x-2y) increases with increasing degree as more terms are added to the polynomial. However, using too many terms can lead to a complex polynomial with diminishing returns in terms of accuracy. Therefore, the degree should be chosen carefully to balance accuracy and simplicity.