Taylor Polynomial of 3rd order in 0 to f(x) = sin(arctan (x))

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Taylor series to write sin(x) and arctan(x) as polynomials, and simplifying the expression sin(arctan(x)). The lecturer is able to simplify the expression in one step by only considering the x and x^3 terms, while the student is struggling to simplify the entire expression.
Taiga
The problem is as the title says. This is an example we went through during the lecture and therefore I have the solution. However there is a particular step in the solution which I do not understand.

Using the Taylor series we will write sin(x) as:
sin(x) = x - (x^3)/6 + (x^5)B(x)
and
arctan(x) = x - (x^3)/3 + (x^5)C(x)

B and C I believe are functions restricted near 0.

Anyway since our function is sin(arctan (x)) it is appropriate to insert arctan in every x in the sin(x) function. Therefore we get

sin (arctan(x) ) = ( x - (x^3)/3 + (x^5)C(x) ) - ( x - (x^3)/3 + (x^5)C(x) )^3 / 6 + (( x - (x^3)/3 + (x^5)C(x) )^5) B(x)

As I see it, it will take an enourmous amount of work to simplfy this polynom because we have long expressions with the power both 3 and 5: However in the lecture the lecturer says that the above is equal to...

x - x^3)/3 - (x^3)/6 + (x^4)D(x), where D has the same def. as B and C have above.

Anyway he does this in one single step. Could anyone please explain to me how he came to this conclusion? What am I not seeing? Is there a simple way to get to this conclusion? If so please demonstrate.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are interested only in the x and x3 terms, which comes out directly. He didn't need to expand the 3rd and 5th power expressions. The third power term is -x3/6 + higher order terms, while the fifth power gives only higher order.

Likes Taiga

1. What is a Taylor Polynomial of 3rd order in 0?

A Taylor Polynomial of 3rd order in 0 is a mathematical approximation of a function around the point 0 using a polynomial of degree 3. It is used to estimate the value of the function at a given point, and the accuracy of the approximation increases as the degree of the polynomial increases.

2. How is the Taylor Polynomial of 3rd order in 0 calculated?

The Taylor Polynomial of 3rd order in 0 is calculated using the Taylor series, which is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms. The first three terms of the Taylor series are used to form the polynomial, and the coefficients are determined by taking derivatives of the function at the point 0.

3. What is the significance of using a 3rd order polynomial?

A 3rd order polynomial is used because it includes enough terms to provide a relatively accurate approximation of the function, but it is also simple enough to be easily calculated. Higher order polynomials can be used for even more accuracy, but they require more terms and calculations.

4. How does the Taylor Polynomial of 3rd order in 0 relate to the function f(x) = sin(arctan(x))?

The Taylor Polynomial of 3rd order in 0 for the function f(x) = sin(arctan(x)) is an estimate of the function around the point 0. This means that as x approaches 0, the value of the polynomial will approach the value of the function. It is a useful tool for analyzing the behavior of the function near 0.

5. What are the applications of the Taylor Polynomial of 3rd order in 0?

The Taylor Polynomial of 3rd order in 0 has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to approximate the behavior of a function in a certain range, solve differential equations, and analyze data. It is also used in numerical analysis to develop more accurate numerical methods for solving problems.