Taylor series for cos(x) in powers of x minus pi

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
TheRedDevil18
Messages
406
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Find the taylor series representation for the following function
f(x) = cos(x) in powers of x-pi

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
I don't know what they mean by "in powers of x-pi", that's the part I'm confused with. Can somebody please explain that part for me, thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Shyan said:
That just means you should expand around [itex]x=\pi[/itex] rather than the usual [itex]x=0[/itex].

Does that mean the "a" value is pi ?
 
TheRedDevil18 said:
Does that mean the "a" value is pi ?
If you write [itex]f(a+\delta)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{f^{(n)}(a)}{n!} \delta^n[/itex], then yes!
 
I use this formula

f^(n)(a)*((x-a)^n)/n!

And sub in pi for a, thanks
 
TheRedDevil18 said:
I use this formula

f^(n)(a)*((x-a)^n)/n!

And sub in pi for a, thanks
Yes, this is what the general term in your Taylor series will look like. Note that a Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series, where a = 0.