Taylor Series question about error:

In summary, the conversation discusses a three part question based on the first two sections, involving finding the Taylor series expansion of a function and determining its interval of convergence. The conversation also mentions using the ratio test and the Lagrange error to find the minimum number of terms necessary to approximate the function with an error not exceeding 0.1. The conversation ends with a request for help with this specific problem.
HANNONKEVINP

Homework Statement

This is a three part question: It is based off the first two sections. I'm pretty sure the first two answers are correct, but I have no idea how to do the third question.

Write the First three nonzero terms and the general term of the Taylor series expansion about x=0 of f(x) = 5 sin (x/2)
5x/2 – 5x^3/48 + 5x^5/(5! * (2^5)….5[tex]\sum[/tex]^(2x + 1)/((2x + 1)!* (2^(2x + 1))

What is the interval of convergence for the series found in (a)?

I used the ratio test to prove the interval is all real numbers. Since this Taylor series uses the sin function, I'm sure it is all real numbers.

What is the minimum number of terms in (a) that are necessary to approximate f (x) on the interval with an error not exceeding .1? Show your method. My teacher says to use the interval found in B.

Homework Equations

Lagrange error
5x/2 – 5x^3/48 + 5x^5/(5! * (2^5)….5∑ X^(2x + 1)/((2x + 1)!* (2^(2x + 1))
f^(n+1) (x)/((n+1)!) * x^(n+1) ≤ .1

The Attempt at a Solution

What is the minimum number of terms in (a) that are necessary to approximate f (x) on the interval with an error not exceeding .1? Show your method. My teacher says to use the interval found in B.

This is the section that I need help on.

I used the lagrange error: f^(n+1) (x)/((n+1)!) * x^(n+1) ≤ .1

From here, I realize that this was too complicated, so I went through a trial and error and plug a number into see what is accurate to the 1/10. I got 3 terms. I'm not sure how I am supposed to show a way without using a calculator or plug and chug. This is the 1976 BC7 Ap free response question.

Physics news on Phys.org
HANNONKEVINP said:

Homework Statement

This is a three part question: It is based off the first two sections. I'm pretty sure the first two answers are correct, but I have no idea how to do the third question.

Write the First three nonzero terms and the general term of the Taylor series expansion about x=0 of f(x) = 5 sin (x/2)
5x/2 – 5x^3/48 + 5x^5/(5! * (2^5)….5[tex]\sum[/tex]^(2x + 1)/((2x + 1)!* (2^(2x + 1))
Your first three terms are right, but you general term isn't.

The Maclaurin series (Taylor series in powers of x) of sin(x) is
[tex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n x^{2n + 1}}{(2n + 1)!}[/tex]

Notice that general term has both x and n in it. Yours has only x.

The series for y = 5 sin(x/2) can be obtained pretty easily from the series for sin(x) by replacing x with x/2 and multiplying each term by 5.
HANNONKEVINP said:
What is the interval of convergence for the series found in (a)?

I used the ratio test to prove the interval is all real numbers. Since this Taylor series uses the sin function, I'm sure it is all real numbers.
Your work is suspect since you didn't have the right general term.
HANNONKEVINP said:

Homework Equations

Lagrange error
5x/2 – 5x^3/48 + 5x^5/(5! * (2^5)….5∑ X^(2x + 1)/((2x + 1)!* (2^(2x + 1))
f^(n+1) (x)/((n+1)!) * x^(n+1) ≤ .1
You have your first three terms + some gibberish.
HANNONKEVINP said:

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the section that I need help on.

I used the lagrange error: f^(n+1) (x)/((n+1)!) * x^(n+1) ≤ .1

From here, I realize that this was too complicated, so I went through a trial and error and plug a number into see what is accurate to the 1/10. I got 3 terms. I'm not sure how I am supposed to show a way without using a calculator or plug and chug. This is the 1976 BC7 Ap free response question.

1. What is a Taylor Series?

A Taylor Series is a way of representing a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is used to approximate a function at a specific point by using the function's derivatives at that point.

2. How is a Taylor Series used to estimate errors?

A Taylor Series can be used to estimate the error between the actual value of a function and its approximation at a specific point. This is done by taking the difference between the actual value and the Taylor Series approximation, and using the remainder term to determine the error bounds.

3. What is the remainder term in a Taylor Series?

The remainder term in a Taylor Series is the difference between the actual function value and the Taylor Series approximation. It is also known as the error term and is used to estimate the error in the approximation.

4. How is the remainder term calculated in a Taylor Series?

The remainder term is calculated using the Lagrange form of the remainder, which is given by: Rn(x) = (f(n+1)(c))/(n+1)! * (x-a)^(n+1), where c is a value between x and a.

5. What are the applications of Taylor Series?

Taylor Series have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to approximate functions, calculate errors in approximations, find solutions to differential equations, and more. They are also used in numerical analysis and scientific computing.