Teaching / Skipping chapters in a text

In summary, the speaker has two questions regarding their academic and career plans. They are close to taking important classes for their physics degree and are considering majoring in either physics or mathematics. They are not seeking to make groundbreaking discoveries, but rather to teach others. They are unsure of what courses to take in order to become a professor, and are wondering if they should minor in mathematics or specialize in photonics. Their second question is about skipping chapters in courses and whether it is normal to study topics not covered in class. The expert summarizes that textbooks often include more material than can be taught and instructors may emphasize different topics, and it is not uncommon for students to study additional material on their own.
QuarkCharmer
I have two questions for the most part. I'm getting really close to the point where I will be taking the classes that really matter for my physics BS, and I have started thinking about what specifically I would like to major in, or focus on. I really like physics, and mathematics, probably both at an equal level. I have no belief that I will ever profoundly impact the way we think about physics, I doubt that I will be the one to invent a revolutionary new way to look at calculus, and I am not trying to get a job at CERN. I simply want to teach. I really like the application side of mathematics, and I have had so many moments where it all just "clicked" and I felt that I had gained a deeper understanding of how elegant both of these can be, and I want to be there when other people do the same. I ultimately want to teach, physics or mathematics, and I have no idea what I should focus on in order to achieve that goal. What type of courses should I be taking if I want to simply become a professor? I understand that research is massively important, and certainly plan to do whatever it takes to be an asset to my university etc. Should I take a minor in mathematics? Specialize in photonics? I have not yet seen a "so you want to be a physics professor" article!

My other question is about skipping chapters in courses. For instance, when I took Trigonometry, we basically learned what a polar coordinate was, and how to plot them, and that there "is" a way to translate polar into cartesian etc. We skipped over several chapters in our book, and I worked through many of them that I found interesting anyway, but I wonder if there was a reason for this? I have put in a great deal of my personal time studying polar coordinates, vectors, matrix theory, and basically anything else in the book that we did not cover. Is this normal?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience as both student and teacher, textbooks always include more material than can be taught in a standard-length course on the subject, at an appropriate level. This is because different instructors emphasize different topics beyond the core topics that (nearly) everybody agrees about. Textbook writers and publishers generally want to maximize their potential sales, and don't want instructor X to turn down their book simply because it doesn't include topic Y.

1. Can skipping chapters in a text affect a student's learning?

Skipping chapters in a text can have a negative impact on a student's learning. Each chapter in a text is carefully organized to build upon the previous chapter, and skipping can result in missing important information and concepts.

2. Is it ever acceptable for a teacher to skip chapters in a text?

In certain cases, it may be acceptable for a teacher to skip chapters in a text. For example, if the class is running behind schedule or if the teacher determines that a chapter is not relevant to the current lesson or curriculum.

3. How can teachers determine which chapters to skip in a text?

Teachers should carefully review the text and its accompanying curriculum to determine which chapters are essential and which can be skipped. They should also consider the learning needs and abilities of their students.

4. Are there any potential consequences for students who consistently skip chapters in a text?

Skipping chapters in a text can lead to a lack of understanding and retention of important concepts, which can ultimately affect a student's performance on assessments and overall understanding of the subject.

5. Is there a better alternative to skipping chapters in a text?

Instead of skipping chapters, teachers can try to condense or summarize the material in a chapter to save time, or assign the chapter as optional reading for those students who want to learn more. It may also be helpful to provide additional resources or activities to reinforce the skipped material.