Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Teaching university for my master's

  1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    there was a post on www.reddit.com/r/science a couple of days ago that involved someone bitching about dealing with foreign grad students teaching all of their classes wherein someone commented something along the lines of "you should have gone to a private teaching college instead of a research university".

    this got me thinking.

    i graduated last year with a bs in math and 1 credit short of a double major in physics and i want to go on to a phd in physics but i want that same "private teaching college" experience in my coursework. i'd like to learn all the basic physics very well (read:e&m,cm,qm,thermal/stats) so i was wondering if there were any schools that would be like going to a teaching college for undergrad but for a master's? and would i have to pay for it or could i TA my way through? for example reed college is a reputed undergrad teaching college but has no master's in physics. schools abroad aren't out of the question either though i speak only english at a college level.

    i guess basically this question boils down to does anyone know a school where the teachers are very good pedagogues and won't push me into a research group until maybe i've taken my quals or finished my courses? i know this pretty much antithetical to what graduate school is all about but short of this i have no idea how to accomplish what i want, that is learn the physics very well and only then go on to research.

    in my wildest dreams i'd just do my bachelor's in physics over again at at such a teaching school but no one will let you do that (nevermind being able to afford it).

    before someone lobs this at me pejoratively: yes i'd like a second chance at this whole physics thing.

    fake edit: some people will say study it on your own and i am doing that. i'm reviewing freshman physics by doing all of the problems in resnick krane (second edition!) in preparation for the pgre and then have cm by morin, em by griffiths, qm by shankar, and thermal/stats by shroeder slated but i don't think it's good enough.

    cross posted at r/physics
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

    The answer is "no". If you want a private teaching college experience where everyone is taught by professors, you are not going to get them to fund you through a TA-ship. Can you see the logical problem if the answer were "yes"?
  4. Sep 29, 2011 #3
    i get your point. fine so id have to pay my way through but that part of the question was an afterthought anyway. the salient part was whether a such a teaching institution exists and barring that what should i do...
  5. Sep 29, 2011 #4
    Try looking into a Masters degree in Europe. Fees are much cheaper. Pretty certain the research component is only in the second year. My guess is teaching will be hit and miss in most places. It all comes down to whether the school you're applying to have people who teach in a way that is suited to you. Anyway, why don't you try learning your material on your own and with the help of the internet?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook