1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Teaching yourself modern physics

1. Jun 15, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am a software engineer by profession. However, I would love to teach myself Physics and would like to gain a deeper understanding of modern physics. I know it is quit a daunting tasks but I am determined to make it happen, even if it takes a few many years!

I understand that I will need to build a very extensive mathematical foundation for this. I am pretty comfortable with calculus, linear algebra but am not a Mathematician and would probably struggle (on very good days!) with some of the math involved.

So, my question to you guys is, what are the mathematical topics that one should be comfortable with before trying to study physics in some depth? What is the progression of the Mathematical topics that I should cover?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2008 #2
    Hi Luca, welcome to PF.

Calculus of course is a main one. Vector calculus, differential geometry, matrices, group theory, real analysis, complex analysis, probability and statistics.. the list goes on.
    A physicist can never know enough mathematics, mathematics is like a physicists toolbox.

edit : Just found this, http://www.superstringtheory.com/math/math1.html
  4. Jun 15, 2008 #3
    Great! Thanks for that link. Time to get cracking then :)

5. Jun 15, 2008 #4
    No problem!
    Good luck! :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?