TeamTreeHouse, to enroll or not to enroll

In summary, the conversation discusses the best approach for beginners to learn programming with a focus on the language C. The speaker suggests that although TeamTreeHouse may be a good resource, there is a lot of free content available online and it may not be worth paying $200/month for it. They also mention that they have heard positive reviews about TreeHouse from someone who landed a job after completing the course, but they had no prior experience in computer science or programming. The speaker also suggests that with hard work, one can learn C without paying for any resources and mentions the availability of free expert insights and mentorship online. They recommend a book called "Learn C the Hard Way" and also mention the classic book "The C Programming Language" by
doktorwho
For a beginner in programming with some prior experience and the one eager to get started in c would you recommend?

Technology news on Phys.org
I don't have experience with TeamTreeHouse, but there is so much free content out there for programming that I am suspicious it's worth $200/m.

Likes doktorwho
I've heard good things about it (I know of someone on quora who entered a web development course with TreeHouse and ended up landing a junior web developer job after three months of dedicated study--he had no prior experience, nor a degree related to computer science (or any STEM discipline)--he was still a "beginner" as a programmer, but had learned enough to demonstrate enough of a level of competance to land a job with no other qualifications).

On the other hand, if you work hard, you can learn c without paying anything (or very little--not $200/m). There are many free resources and even experts that can be persuaded to give insights (also for free) when asked online (whether through e-mail, a forum like this, or quora)--expert insights and mentorship are more or less easily reachable now through the asking of any questions you have (while learning) online in specific places.

Likes doktorwho
I quite liked the approach in this book https://learncodethehardway.org/c/ (it used to be free though)
I recently went through Kernighan and Ritchie's book again and I think it can be a great resource if you do all/most of the exercises.
I wouldn't use it as a first book though. It can be quite hard.

Related to TeamTreeHouse, to enroll or not to enroll

1. What is TeamTreeHouse and what do they offer?

TeamTreeHouse is an online learning platform that offers courses in web development, design, and programming. They provide video tutorials, coding challenges, and interactive quizzes to help individuals learn new skills and advance their careers in the tech industry.

2. Is it worth enrolling in TeamTreeHouse?

This depends on your learning goals and preferences. TeamTreeHouse offers a comprehensive curriculum and a supportive community, making it a valuable resource for anyone looking to improve their technical skills. However, it may not be the best fit for those who prefer in-person instruction or have specific learning needs.

3. How much does it cost to enroll in TeamTreeHouse?

TeamTreeHouse offers a 7-day free trial, after which the cost is $25 per month for the Basic plan and $49 per month for the Pro plan. The Pro plan offers additional features such as access to exclusive content and the ability to download videos for offline viewing.

4. Can I cancel my enrollment at any time?

Yes, you can cancel your enrollment at any time. TeamTreeHouse offers a no-questions-asked refund policy within the first 30 days of enrollment. After that, you can cancel your subscription at any time, and your access will end at the end of your current billing cycle.

5. Are there any prerequisites for enrolling in TeamTreeHouse?

No, there are no specific prerequisites for enrolling in TeamTreeHouse. However, some courses may assume basic knowledge of coding or web development concepts. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of HTML and CSS before enrolling in their web development courses.