Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

TeamTreeHouse, to enroll or not to enroll

1. Feb 8, 2017 #1
    For a beginner in programming with some prior experience and the one eager to get started in c would you recommend?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2017 #2
    I don't have experience with TeamTreeHouse, but there is so much free content out there for programming that I am suspicious it's worth $200/m.

4. Feb 9, 2017 #3
    I've heard good things about it (I know of someone on quora who entered a web development course with TreeHouse and ended up landing a junior web developer job after three months of dedicated study--he had no prior experience, nor a degree related to computer science (or any STEM discipline)--he was still a "beginner" as a programmer, but had learned enough to demonstrate enough of a level of competance to land a job with no other qualifications).

On the other hand, if you work hard, you can learn c without paying anything (or very little--not $200/m). There are many free resources and even experts that can be persuaded to give insights (also for free) when asked online (whether through e-mail, a forum like this, or quora)--expert insights and mentorship are more or less easily reachable now through the asking of any questions you have (while learning) online in specific places.

5. Feb 12, 2017 #4
    I quite liked the approach in this book https://learncodethehardway.org/c/ (it used to be free though)
    I recently went through Kernighan and Ritchie's book again and I think it can be a great resource if you do all/most of the exercises.
    I wouldn't use it as a first book though. It can be quite hard.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted