1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Tech Impact of Solutions to both Millennium Physics Problems

1. Nov 5, 2016 #1
    Out of the 6 remaining Millennium Prize Problems, two concern physics, the Navier-Stokes smoothness problem and the Yang-Mills mass gap problem.

What I'm curious about is, if both problems were to be solved right now, what would be the immediate experimental and/or technological impacts of the solutions?

We can explore both scenarios (proven true/false) for each problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Nov 11, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Everyone expects them to be true - I don't see technological advances that would come from a proof. The situation is similar for many other unsolved mathematical problems, e. g. the Riemann hypothesis: sure, a proof would be great, but mainly of mathematical interest, putting a checkbox after all proofs "assuming the Riemann hypthesis is true, then [...]".

Showing that one of them is false would be much more interesting. As an example, it would show that the Navier-Stokes equations for describing fluids have to be wrong in some situation. Can we reproduce this experimentally?

5. Nov 14, 2016 #4
    that sounds interesting. Maybe an experimenter could even find the answer before a mathematician.

what about for Yang Mills?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted