1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Technical Drawing of Crank Mechanism

1. Jan 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey, I have to do my homework in Technical Drawing where we have to describe the function and the assembly of any part. I have got a crank mechanism and I just want to know if I name all the parts correctly. I am not quite sure if everything is correct.

3. The attempt at a solution

Here my parts list:
    1: base plate
    2: support
    3: flange
    4: crankshaft
    5: piston
    6: connecting rod
    7: flywheel
    8: grub screw
    9: crankpin
    10: pin
    11: pin
    12: screw

These are my suggestions, but maybe they're wrong or imprecise. I hope you can help me if anything is wrong. Thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2014 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Naming parts isn't a precise science but..

I'm not convinced that "piston" is the best description for 5. However I'm not sure what to suggest as an alternative. Perhaps something like "rocker pin mounting block"

I'm not convinced that this mechanism is intended for continuous high speed rotation so is 7 really a flywheel? Perhaps "Crank Wheel" is better?

I was taught that a screw was fully threaded where as a bolt may only be partly threaded. That would appear to make 12 a bolt rather than a screw. However many other sources say that it's only a bolt if it has a nut. Perhaps stick with screw.

Perhaps wait for other suggestions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted