Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Technical Knowledge of Technologists in Rock n Roll Bands

1. Sep 3, 2015 #1

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The mid-end and high-end rock n roll performance bands have technical people or technologists to help with equipment (electric guitars, amplifiers, and variety of devices used with them; modifications, and repairs). Exactly what do these technical know, and how do they learn it? There have been some brief YouTube videos showing some of these technical people in their professional relations with their members' performers, but nothing too deep are presented in these videos. This makes me curious.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2015 #2
    It probably depends. I mean, Tom Scholz of Boston has an engineering degree from MIT. He's pretty good with his equipment (which he designed). In terms of the other people working on the equipment, I don't know anyone who does that professionally, but my former guitar teacher could fix any amp or guitar problem out there, and he was a P.E. teacher. I believe he learned most of it online.

There are a lot of resources out there for musicians who want to repair their own equipment. I imagine, and this is anecdotal from being around musicians, that a lot of it is online lessons and trial and error moreso than, say, a formal education.

4. Sep 3, 2015 #3

billy_joule

Science Advisor

I have done some paid guitar tech work. For bands big enough to afford a local guitar tech at each location but not big enough to pay for a full time, travelling tech.
    For live tech work it's really just restringing and tuning. Repairs and modifications are generally not done in the heat of the moment, you just pass a backup guitar.
    Though there are some guitar techs who are much more involved and perform all the live effects and amp switching for the guitarist, I think the Edge's tech is one. Premier guitars 'rig rundown' shows some complex systems of pro players. There's a lot of work involved in maintaining something like that, particularly where there's fickle, 50 year old tube amps etc.

I learnt by building, playing and fixing guitars. There are lot's of great books & websites on the topic. I've found books by Dan Erlewine and Melvin Hiscock, and projectguitar.com good resources. AFAIK there are no formal courses on the topic, though I've seen short workshops offered by luthiers from time to time.

5. Sep 4, 2015 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook